Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old May 8, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1

I read the recent CAMEDIA C-60 Zoom review with great interest, it sounded perfect for me. I was all ready to get it but I noticed there was no mention of whether it could accept filters. I looked everywhere to find this info and finally emailed Olympus who told me that "unfortunately" this 6 megapixel, $600 camera cannot accept a simple filter.
Why is this so important? If you take a lot of pictures near the ocean as I do, at the very least you want to keep the lens from damage. Not to mention sun glare, not to mention many other reasons.
Shouldn't ALL cameras of this quality accept filters and shouldn't it be noted in the reviews whether they do or not? I did not see it anywhere. If I missed it I'm sorry but I did look.
Thanks, Roseha
roseha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2

hmmm...my G2 has the same thing....but that just means that they didn't make it to...or they don't make filters for it...i'm not sure about your camera....but is there a wideangle..or teleconverter you can buy for it? if so you'll probably have to buy a conversion lens (piece of plastic that lets the TC or WC stick out past the lens of the camera.....)...that conversion lens will accept filters.....you just will have to figure out the size of them...

hope this helps you....it works here..i haven't bought one yet....but someone here that has a G3 told me it works...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 8:39 PM   #3

I suspect it is cost/price/size/weight issues. It is more than just the cost of putting threads just past the lens: they know if there are threads there, someone will put a telephoto/wide-angle adapter on it. That means heavier construction on several other pieces and maybe a heavier duty motor to focus.

If they don't beaf up the camera to deal with a heavy adapter, including hanging the camera on a telescope by the threads, there will be more failures.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 9:13 PM   #4

Hi Bill

That seems as if they're terrified of being sued.

This is an expensive camera after all with all kinds of features. It would be simple enough to provide filter threads and advise the customer not to add anything heavier than a filter or a lens hood.

This way, the lens is probably going to be damaged eventually. Is that better?

R
Old May 12, 2004, 5:58 AM   #5

It isn't just being sued - dealing with warantees and customer complaints cost money as well. Yet another trade-off.

In addition, cameras with a sliding cover over the lens might not have enough space for a filter to fit.

If a filter is important to you, just make sure you get a camera that can have one fitted. Why would you care if all cameras can accept filters? Other folks might consider cheaper, lighter, less power consumption more important features.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:00 AM   #6

Hi

It just seems like such a small thing to add the threads.
And the camera I started out discussing is a 6 megapixel $600
Olympus, why is it more important to add quicktime movies etc?

Just frustrating IMHO.

Thanks, R
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:17 AM   #7

Hi Roseha,

Actually, it's quite easy to attach filters to the G3 -- you just need an inexpensive 'conversion lens adapter'. Canon's has 58mm threads, while my 3rd party 'DKE Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC52B' is 52mm, so that I can reuse the filters,close-up lenses, lens caps, and rotating polarizer from my old Nikon 35mm SLR.

It's very easy to attach the lens adapter to the G3. Looking at the front (lens side) of the G3, there's a button to the lower right (5 o'clock) of the lens. Press and hold the button while you turn the lens housing counter-clockwise until it stops (about 1/8 turn), then pull the housing straight off. Line-up the dot on the barrel of the adapter with the mark to the right (3 o'clock) of the lens, then twist the adapter clockwise until it clicks.

My adapter extends almost 2 1/4" beyond the G3's body, and I usually remove it before returning the camera to my bag. Remove the adapter and replace the standard lens housing in the same way described above.

My adapter cost about $10 USD.

I hope this helps! Steve
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:25 AM   #8

It does work on theG3 -- you just need an inexpensive 'conversion lens adapter'. Canon's has 58mm threads, while my 3rd party 'DKE Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC52B' is 52mm, so that I can reuse the filters, close-uplenses, lens caps, and rotating polarizer from my old Nikon 35mm film camera.

It's very easy to attach the lens adapter to the G3. Looking at the front (lens side) of the G3, there's a button to the lower right (5 o'clock) of the lens. Press and hold the button while you turn the lens housing counter-clockwise until it stops (about 1/8 turn), then pull the housing straight off. Line-up the dot on the barrel of the adapter with the mark to the right (3 o'clock) of the lens, then twist the adapter clockwise until it clicks.

My adapter extends almost 2 1/4" beyond the G3's body, and I usually remove it before returning the camera to my bag. Remove the adapter and replace the standard lens housing in the same way described above.

My adapter cost about $10 USD.

I hope this helps! Steve
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:27 AM   #9

roseha wrote:
Quote:
It just seems like such a small thing to add the threads.
And the camera I started out discussing is a 6 megapixel $600
Olympus, why is it more important to add quicktime movies etc?

Just frustrating IMHO.

Pick up a C50 or C60 in a store and slide the cover open. You should be able to intuitively see why it can't take a filter. No pocket cameras I know of can for the same reason. The lenses retract fully into the camera and a cover protects the lens.

Any adapter that would be secure on the camera would damage the mechanism if you accidentally retracted the lens. You certainly couldn't have one screw in. It is very easy to accidentally retract the lens with a C60 – just a slight nudge on the open cover will do it. Any adapter that would slide off with a lens retraction would surely lead to a broken filter. And BillDrew's comments about weight on a tiny lens retraction mechanism might be significant as well if someone started screwing in step-up rings for wide or telephoto adapters.

You don't need a UV filter on all the time to protect the lens as most pocket cameras have built-in lens protection. Photoshop will duplicate the most common effect from a polarizer and isn't dependent on time of day or direction. A polarizer doesn't help at all for the irritating reflections off glasses and windows when using a flash. Not even all cameras with filter screws will take IR. It has to do with the internal IR filtering and whether you can bypass it. Special effects filters usually require better feedback than you can get with LCD.

The one thing that I would really like on my pocket cameras is a collapsible lens hood I could carry easily and slide on the lens. That is one thing that will improve most of your images, and it won't break if it falls off with an accidental retraction. I've been planning to design one but haven't gotten around to it.

If you want screw threads for filters you have to buy a bigger camera. You will usually have the hassle of a lens cover or have to put a UV filter on for protection and clean the dust off from time to time. I don't know of a camera in the size range of the C60 that takes filters. You have to make compromises to be able to carry a small camera around and that is one of them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote