Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:53 AM   #1

Do all (or most all) tripods have a universal fit? Do I need a special one for my Nikon Coolpix 2100? Can you get them at places like Freddies or Target? As you can see, I'm clueless!

I think I need one for taking night shots (of the moon) - at least I think that's what the problem is!

Any particular recommendations?
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:32 AM   #2

So long as you have a threaded tripod socket (1/4"x20 if you are looking for the matching "bolt" in a hardware store), any tripod will work.

I'd strongly suggest spending the money to get a good tripod. Just because you have a small camera, that does not mean a flimsy tripod will be OK. It will shake in the wind and have a tendency to fall over - in particular when you have set up over concrete.

Also, you want either a remote shutter release or to use the self timer to avoid shaking the camera when you trip the shutter.

I am not sure that you will be happy with shots of the night sky. That takes a long exposure which means more noise. You can try it easly without a tripod by simply setting your camera pointing at the sky in a bean-bag on a picknic table/car hood/... using the self timer to trip the shutter. Hard to get a good framing of exactly what you want to shoot that way, but good for a test. Keep in mind that the moon is in bright sunlight: a long distance, but very bright.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Bill. The bean bag is a great idea. The only reason for a tripod would be to try to capture the night sky so trying the bean bag trick first might save me some $ if the shots aren't what I'd hoped they be.

The Nikon has taken some great shots of the garden - especially close-ups and I'm hoping for some great night shots too butI guess that may be asking for a bit much of this camera. Some day I may break down and get a camera that can do it all.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:07 PM   #4

Becky0669 wrote:
Quote:
... Some day I may break down and get a camera that can do it all.
That camera does not exist. Never has, never will.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:09 AM   #5

How about - "some day I'll break down and get a camera that can do more than the one I have"? That shouldn't be too hard!