Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:38 PM   #1

I have been looking into getting a digital photo storage device. I have a Nikon D70 and two 256MB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards. (The cards are incredibly fast in this camera.) I want to get a small digital photo storage device, which I would also use as an MP3 player. I was thinking about the 15GB iPod and the Belkin Digital Camera Link. (I reviewed the Belkin iPod Media Reader, but it seems that the Digital Camera Link is about twice as fast, downloading to the iPod, with the only drawback being that as it links the iPod to the camera, the batteries in the iPod and the camera, and the 2 batteries in the Digital Camera Link are all being used when it is downloading.)

I have seen reviews of the Archos GMini 220, mostly good. The advantages of the GMini are that it has a built-in CF reader, so I'm not lugging around a second device, it seems much faster than the iPod and Belkin combination, and it is slightly smaller than the iPod alone. The disadvantage seems to be the MP3 user interface (and mostly, the interface as one links the GMini to the PC to download MP3 files), but I haven't found any disadvantages regarding use as a digital photo storage device.

I am not looking for a device to view photos, only to store them while traveling, until I get back home and can download to my PC. In addition, since I will use the device as much for listening to MP3s, both at home and while traveling, I'd like to get one unit that does both (reasonably) well.

Any thoughts on which one to get? Thanks for your opinions.
gordon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 9:15 PM   #2

Check out www.4tress.com

..........Bob
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:16 PM   #3

I use the Macally syncbox ($30)with myflash drive($30).It works very well..
julie3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:43 AM   #4

i was considering to buy gmini 220 only as image store device. But after reading this forum i didn't have any idea that ipod could also used as store device. Does it work really that simple withcard reader plugged into ipod &allsaved justlike that??

is there page that i can get more info about card reader+ipod combination?

thx for ur help

fungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:43 PM   #5

julie3y wrote:
Quote:
I use the Macally syncbox ($30)with myflash drive($30).It works very well..
Will it work with a USB external drive?
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:23 PM   #6

I thought about one of these last year. My only drawback was, what if the hard drive in the storage gets messed up? Then you loose everything. I just have alot of memory cards. That seems to work well for me. Good luck on your choice.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:46 AM   #7

I was looking for something at the start of the year there wasn't much about in the way of storage and MP3 devices at the time. I was a little worried about battery life of most devices. The iPhoto was just out but you needed a 3rd party device to stick between the camera and the drive, you also couldn't view your latest pictures until you had synced them with your Mac/PC.

I ended up buying one of these, Tatung Elio Photo Jukebox. The big selling point for me was that I could plug my camera directly into the device via the USB port and download the images directly. So you don't need a 3rd party flash card adaptor or a PC to go from one device to the other.

They were really difficult to find in the UK and I think they maybe even harder to find now as their european website www.eliohome.comhas expired.

Good luck
iamfisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 8:26 PM   #8

120 GB 239 €
100 GB 189 €
80 GB 144 €
60 GB 129 €
40 GB 119 €
0 GB 43 €

-------------------------------------------------------

Small harddisk with 20 GB, 1.8" drive (149 €, USA 149 $):

PhotoHardDisk 149 € + Traveler DC 8300, 8.1 Megapixel, 2,5" Display with 201.000 Pixels
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:30 AM   #9

i posted on anther thread about these

if u live in uk visita a computer fair a basic enclosure for turning laptop hard drive into a data bank it £20 and a deluxe version with lcd is £30

u need ur own laptop hard drive though cost deepends on size of drive

gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:38 AM   #10

I'm trying to find a macally syncbox to purchase but cant find anything only reviews when searching on google!

Anyone come across them?
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote