Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:22 AM   #1

I'm looking for a tripod mainly to take some scenery shots in the evening, or with a high F-number, and maybe some shots of plants. I would preferably want something light and compact as well. I don't see my self wanting to fork out more than 30-40 pounds (70US) as I wouldn't use it all the time. Any suggestions? :?
chappy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2

To be honest, head to your local camera store and see what they got. Tripods are something you shouldn't buy sight unseen...some are finicky, others might be too heavy or clumsy.

There are some very compact fullsize tripods that collapse down to about 15", but it's not for heavy cameras (1/2 pound or less)...I own one of these, and had it in my knapsack for days before I realized I was carrying it around town because I had forgotten about it.

Go out and try what's out there.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:04 PM   #3

What kind of camera do you have and how heavy is it? A tripod that is too light or flimsy for your camera can give a false sense of security.

I have been using a Slik U-8000 for a number of years. However, I am finding that since I got my Nikon D100, added the MBD100 battery pack and SB800 flash, the camera setup is too heavy for the tripod. With all adjustments on the tripod head locked down, there is still a lot of movement. As a result, I have to use the self-timer or cable release, especially when doing macro shots.

If you have a smaller "point-and-shoot" camera, this tripod would probably be ideal for you. It costs around $100 US.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4

Mikefellh and calr know what they are talking about.

A good tripod is a joy to use, but any tripod which does not have any play in it, is better than none andwill work fine for a light weight camera. I bought a little Optex from Walmart for about $30Cdn ( a little over 10 pounds I think). It is not suitable for a DSLR or even a heavy film SLR but is is excellent with my wife's fuji Finepix 2800Z, even at full zoom. It is best to use a remote release or the self timer with these tripods but they are quite effective with a small camera. A friend of mine is using a Manfrotto with his 35mm SLR, marvelous tripod but far too heavy to carry around with a lighter camera. Remember if you have a heavy camera or you plan on getting a heavy camera in the future, get a tripod to support it. Beware, remember you usually get what you pay for, I also own a larger Vivitar tripod (still a budget brand) from my 35mm kit which I use when necessary.

The best advice, look around for something that seems reasonably well built and that will lock securely in place. And make sure it has a tilt pan head (or ball head) since many cheap small tripods are designed for video and do not allow you to tilt your digital camera for vertical shots.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:40 AM   #5

Well I have a Canon D300, I looked at a few today, optex 165 and a Star 61? both were quite lite, but also felt a bit feeble when fully extended. The hunt caries on i guess.
chappy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:00 PM   #6

Pop along to a biggish Jessops shop with your camera and ask to try some out. I got their TP220 with my Dynax 5. It is only a budget tripod, it costs £26.99. It is fine with a light lens like the 28-100 I got with the camera. But when I put on a Tamron 300mm and fully extend it things become a little unstable. When I'm doing macro it wobbles all over the place. It is nice and light though and is great with my point-and-shoot digital. I still always use a self timer when doing macro. But you'd have to do that with almost all tripods I'd expect.

To see what you can get for your money have a look at www.jessops.co.uk They are high-street prices, so although not cheap will give you a good idea.

I'm always on the look out for a better tripod to, although it isn't on the top of my list. When I get a new one it will have to have a couple of spirit levels and more head movement. You don't realise you miss stuff like this until you need it. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:26 AM   #7

I haveseveral "light and affordable" tripods in my attic gathering dust because they couldn't do the job.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:29 AM   #8

Me too, I have old optix, velbon, and no-name pods gathering dust. I think using them was worse than handholding, as the mirror slap would cause shake they were not able to damp fast enough. Or the wind induced vibrations.

I don't think with tripods you can use the words light and inexpensive in the same sentence. A usable light tripod usually means it is carbonfiber and that is not inexpensive.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:11 PM   #9

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Me too, I have old optix, velbon, and no-name pods gathering dust. I think using them was worse than handholding, as the mirror slap would cause shake they were not able to damp fast enough. Or the wind induced vibrations.

I don't think with tripods you can use the words light and inexpensive in the same sentence. A usable light tripod usually means it is carbonfiber and that is not inexpensive.

looking to sell any of ur old tripods??? :-)
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote