Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:37 AM   #1

I have been thinking about buying an external Hard Drive - to store all of my Best images on - take into consideration all of the Best original files are burned to a CD & are in my lockbox at the local bank. So, do I need to buy a external hard drive or not?I would also move some document files there as well. Last year, I upgraded my 4 year old HP by replacing my 15 Gighard drive wilth a 40 Gig. (I also sold my 15" monitor & got a 17" flat CRT from Viewsonic & I LOVE it!). So, is this necessary - just in case the internal ever crashes? I work at Wal-Mart - my store has none, but a Larger store has a Seagate 160 GB HD USB 2.0 for $149.23, &I would get 10% off of that.

Any other brand suggestions?

Thanks - David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2

My personal approach is a just bit different: I use 2 internal HD. One is the normal boot HD, and I clone my data regularly to the second HD. I don't need, and don't want an external HD. My second HD is also ready to boot up (windows installed, with a minimum set of software and utilities already functional.
In case the first HD have a problem, I just go to the CMOS and choose to boot with the second HD, and have access to the last set of data.
I use a freeware called Treecomp to compare and synchronize data directories on both HD.
I did not check the specs , but I guess that a USB2 HD is still slower than an internal drive.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:11 AM   #3

Yes, I believe you are right. I don't believe any disk drive is faster than a good internal drive on a good modern data bus. But if its just a backup speed doesn't matter as much.

Firewire drives are faster than USB2, though, and are not unacceptable slow. USB2 is kinda slow but it works (I have both.)

Your absolute best protection is to burn the CDs and put them in the local back. Protected from fire, theft... all that. And if the bank and you are in a serious disaster you probably have bigger problems than your pictures. (If you really worry about that, send stuff to Iron Mountain.)

Then every 2 years or so check them for errors and maybe reburn them on to a newer external media standard. You don't want to go back to those CDs in 10 years and find your computer doesn't have a drive to read them. Sure, you'll be able to buy a reader but what a hassle.... and some might have become unreadable.

That prices for an external segate isn't bad, actually. I am a big fan of Wester Digital hard disks, but Segate isn't a bad name (they had trouble a few years ago, but have gotten by it.) It is also not hard to buy a hard disk and external case and just put it together. That is what I did (but I have built every computer I've owned.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:50 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
It is also not hard to buy a hard disk and external case and just put it together.
can we get somewhere an interface IDE <---> USB ? (assuming that the HD has its own power supply)

-------------------------------
OK I had the anwser on the net,
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:12 PM   #5
NHL

KCan wrote:
Quote:
can we get somewhere an interface IDE <---> USB ? (assuming that the HD has its own power supply)
Of course: http://www.cwol.com/usb/usb-2-ide-adapter-ud200.htm

... That's how most external hardcase are made of with a wall power supply!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:47 PM   #6

Yep, that is exactly how they work. The case has an EIDE connector on the inside, and on the outside USB or USB2 or FireWire (or both.) Since I have firewire on my motherboard I go with a case that has both connectors so I get the extra speed at home but the easy of bringing it to other people's houses and using USB2.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:37 PM   #7

Looking at the prices, I think that It's probably not worth reusing my extra HD this way :roll:

I guess it,s a bit over priced , in fact, it's not more sofisticated than a card reader, is it?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8
NHL

KCan wrote:
Quote:
in fact, it's not more sofisticated than a card reader, is it?
FYI
http://www.cypress.com/products/fami...%20Peripherals
http://www.smsc.com/main/catalog/usbprods.html
http://www.via.com.tw/en/Communications/aboutusb.jsp
http://www.alcormicro.com/product.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:45 PM   #9

thanks NHL :-)
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:45 PM   #10

you could go to NewEgg.com and buy yourself an external enclosure and use that 15gb hdd to save your images on, if 15gb is enough.. I had a 160gb hdd from my old computer that i wanted to use on my laptop.... $35 pulled it off.Just an idea that could save you some cash. for image storing only, it'd work wonders for you, and if you decided you needed more space, you can buy an internal 3.5" hard drive as opposed to a new external hard drive...which would be considerably easier.
hydrogen_wv is offline   Reply With Quote