Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:29 AM   #1

this is icebear7's digital camera writing... We are going to the US together for the first time next week!

We have the right plug for charging me, the camera, but the Problem: do we need some other devices because of the different voltage? Or will it just work?

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix SQ ... HELP! The camera has to work for 2 weeks and not just as long as the batteries are charged...

I'm new to this page and looking forward to your help.

Steffi

PS: no, it doesn't say anything about that in the manual :idea:
icebear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:50 AM   #2

Guten Tag...

What you'll have to do is look at the rating plate on the charger itself...if it just says, "Input: 240 volts", then you'll need a voltage converter. If however it says, "Input: 120-240 volts" (or something that includes that range), then all you need is the correct plug adapter which has blades like:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...p/usa_plug.gif

This goes for anything electronic you are taking overseas (including shaver and hair dryer). Note that many personal appliances require you to flip a switch or turn a dial for proper voltage adjustment...just don't forget to flip it BACK when you return home. The charger (if multi-voltage capable) is usually automatic switching but doublecheck to make sure.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:06 AM   #3

what it says on the charger is:

INPUT 4.2 V= 1.5A OUTPUT 4.2V=1.5A Adaptor

4.2V=0.9 A Charger

with the lower line of the "=" in smaller lines

somewhere else they wrote DC IN 4.2V

And my Class B digital apparatur meets all requirements of the Canadian INterference Causing Equipment Regulations - tough I'm not going to Canada :-)

Steffi
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:35 AM   #4

I guess with your charger it's a two piece unit, correct? There's a part that can sit on a table, and plugged into that is a cord which goes to an adapter which goes into the wall? What I need is the info on the rating plate on the part that goes into the wall...look for the same info I mentioned above.

Regarding that part about Canada, it only has to do with interference on radio equipment, not voltage requirements...Canada and the US have the same voltage requirements, but we have different standards when it comes to radio interference.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:16 PM   #5

hurrayyy :-)I found it and it says input 100-240 V.

thank you so much for your help!!

steffi
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:02 PM   #6

The majority of these devices are rated from 100-240v between 50-60Hz. This is true for Battery chargers and adapters of all kinds. This pretty much covers the mains electricity supplies in just about all major countries. Just check tobe sure your charger unit should say the following quite clearly on the back;

100-240v 50-60Hz

If it doesn't have those numbers, or if you cant see themthen don't chance it. Also be aware that just because the device itself is compatible with the US electricity supply, this does not mean that your plug is compatible with a US wall socket. You may (in fact you probably will) need to purchase a travel adapter. This is a simple and cheap device that allows you to plug your NorthernEuropean spec plug into one end of the adapter while the other end plugs into the US spec wall socket. Travel adapters do not alter the electricity supply in any way - it just allows you to fitoneshape of plug into a different shapewall socket.

I have used a travel adapter when travelling abroad to power battery chargers and even my laptop. I had no problems using the adapter but if you don't feel confident using your charger with another countries power supply then consider purchasing a battery chargerwhile you are in the US or evennon-rechargeable batteries.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #7

maybe a silly question but will the battery take twice as long to charge if it's getting 120v instead of 240v?
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:52 PM   #8
Administrator

No, that's the input voltage, the output is the same
steve is offline   Reply With Quote