Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:38 PM   #1

Hi guys

Does anybody own a Nature Tracker II.

How does it perform and is it worth the $190.

I plan on using it for:

1 EOS 300D
1 Mini Tripod
1 Flash
1 300mm Lens
1 All cables & charger
1 External Storage Device

Thanks
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:11 AM   #2

For me, all of the Lowpros just didn't get it. I settled on the Marmot, Highlander fanny pack.

It's as big or bigger than most knapsacks and certainly very comfortable. Even when heavily loaded!

At about $80.00, it is price competetive with any product that I looked at.

I got the bright idea to look at the better outdoor outfitters like Backwoods.com, Kelty, Sierra Designs, REI.com and many others. The better fannypacks are large, multipocketed, comfortable, stable, well made with many great details that make them perfect for photographers.

Chedk them out.
katkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:11 AM   #3

For me, all of the Lowpros just didn't get it. I settled on the Marmot, Highlander fanny pack.

It's as big or bigger than most knapsacks and certainly very comfortable. Even when heavily loaded!

At about $80.00, it is price competetive with any product that I looked at.

I got the bright idea to look at the better outdoor outfitters like Backwoods.com, Kelty, Sierra Designs, REI.com and many others. The better fannypacks are large, multipocketed, comfortable, stable, well made with many great details that make them perfect for photographers.

Check them out.
katkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:08 PM   #4

Which 300mm lens are you using? what fstop? This will make a HUGE difference. If its not f2.8 then this bad is overkill. If it is the f2.8 then you'll have few choices and this might be the right bag. This bad is really designed for BIG lenses.

It is my understanding that LowePros are better on people with a more "normal" frame. So me, at 5'7" they fit well but I know some 6'2" people who dislike them.

Personally, I love every LowePro bag I own (Photo Trekker Classic, TopLoad Zoom AW, Pro Trekker AW.)

My suggestion is always to find a store that carries a variety of brands. Bring all your gear and go to the store. Load up the backpacks and try them out. Walk around. Make sure they are comfortable. If they don't want you doing this then they don't want your business.

Bags like these are things that must be tried.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:56 PM   #5

Thanks Eric.

I plan on using the bag mostly for traveling with all my gear.

I have changed my mind on buying a EOD Digital Rebel. I will stick with my F717 for now but the bag will at a later stage be used to its full potential. I plan to buy a EOS 1DS at a later stage with a few lenses and other bits. I plan to keep the F717 for studio work so that will go in the bag as well.

The deal at BH is very good for me as you get the daypack with. Two bags for the price of one. (not really but close)

I will try to get to BH to test the bag for fit but I dont think it will be a problem. Im 6' even so I dont think i'll have problems.

Thanks for the reply
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:22 AM   #6

I'll add my vote to the LowePro bags, I have a pile of them and like them all.

One thing though, the AW series weighs substantially more than the normal bags.

It feels like my LowePro Orion-AW weighs almost as much empty as my LowePro Orion packed full of gear. But it is padded much better to sit on you where it counts.

The two bags in my bag collection that see the most use are myTrekker Classic backpack and a small TopLoad Zoom bag, just big enough forone camera with a moderate zoom attached.

The quest for the perfect bag never seems to end. :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:14 PM   #7

I have the exact bag you are looking at and find it quite versatile and useful. It holds a ton of stuff, including my Canon 10D with 28-135mm attached, 550EX, 50-500mm, 15-30mm, Xdrive, filters, wires, batteries, manuals, gray/color card, etc. etc. As eric says, assess your needs carefully. It's easy to say, 'wow look at all the stuff it holds' - but remember, what it holds - you carry (weight). It even takes a small tripod on an outside cup/loop system.

As for comfort (other than the weight of gear), I have no complaints. I'm 6'1 and it is fully adjustable for me. I've often thought of taking a photo of it loaded to show what it can carry. Depends on your needs of comfort, weather and weight vs. gear you will actually carry. Your current list won't put a dent in it.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:33 PM   #8

Thanks. I tested the fit of the Photo Tracker AW II today and I am very impressed. Too bad the bag retails in the region of $500 here in SA.

I plan on keeping the Nature Tracker for a very long time to come.

Thanks for the reply