Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1
Zar

Hello people.

I am looking for a good lens-cleaning kit, since I suppose they will need to be cleaned someday. Which one is recommended?

Adittionally, I have heard some people who says "use only your breath on them, and then clean them with your t-shirt". How true -and safe- is that? Are there any additional reccomendations for cleaning the camera lenses?

I'm not a total newbie, but that particular action is something I'm pretty nervous about, so feel free to direct me to some "cleaning lenses for dummies" kind of website.

Thanks.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:04 PM   #2

Get a Giotto Rocket-Air from The Filter Connection -- I just got mine today with a couple of filters I ordered from them and it works great -- got rid of a dang dust particle I've had inmyD70 just fine.
MarkLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:42 PM   #3
Administrator

I prefer Hanes... If it's smudged, I'll use a dropof water on one spot ofa cottont-shirt (not too wet, since I don't want it to drip into the lens),followed by a dry portion of the shirt (making sure to get in close to the edges good). :-)

Actually, you can get specialized lint freetissue and clothes for lens cleaning at almost any camera store (eyeglass vendors are also a source).The LensPen isanother popular too (and these are also sold at discounts at many camera stores and online dealers):

http://www.lenspen.com/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:20 PM   #4

Another good "free" lint free cloth is the shoe polish cloth they have in hotel rooms.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:34 AM   #5

If you realy care about your lens I would go to Sears Optical Dept. or any place of the like and get there individually packaged optical pre-moistened lens cloth.

Your " T-shirt " or anything similar collects microscopic particals that will eventually damage your lens. The worst is if you use tissue paper.

John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Zar

John G. wrote:
Quote:
(...) Your " T-shirt " or anything similar collects microscopic particals that will eventually damage your lens. The worst is if you use tissue paper.

The worst...? But, isn't a special tissue paper what usually comes with the lens-cleaning kits...?

Now I'm confused... and afraid.

Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Administrator

Zar wrote:
Quote:
John G. wrote:
Quote:
(...) Your " T-shirt " or anything similar collects microscopic particals that will eventually damage your lens. The worst is if you use tissue paper.

The worst...? But, isn't a special tissue paper what usually comes with the lens-cleaning kits...?

Now I'm confused... and afraid.

The tissue that comes with lens cleaning kits is designed specifically for lenses. Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc., are not. The worst you can do is probably paper towels.

I've worn eyeglasses for over 40 years now. My normal dailyroutine is to rinse them off under water ina sink, then clean them with a fluffy cotton towel (100% cotton, not one that includes nylon fibers).Thisdaily routine appears to do no harm at all, and I have been known to keep the same pair of glasses for several years before getting a new prescription.

But, years ago, when I got my first glasses with anti-reflective coatings,the wear from cleaning with tissue and paper towels caused the coatings to wear off (paper towels can scratch the coatings). So, I don't do that anymore. ;-)

To be safer, go down to a camera store or opticianand buy a cleaning kit designed for lenses, or use something like the lenspen I mentioned in my previous post.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:59 AM   #8

I use two products, my main cleaning item is called a lens pen. http://www.lenspen.com the other is a microfiber cloth.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:33 AM   #9

2filters.com sells some cleaning fluid called Formula MC which is the absolute best I've ever used. I always thought wiping the lens several times in an attempt to remove the residue was just something that had to be done. It's not. This stuff is great, and it's very inexpensive to boot. Put a drop on a piece of lens tissue paper and wipe the lens gently using small circular motions. Crumple another piece of lens paper into a wad and turn it often as you wipe the lens dry. After that, as long as you keep from smudging the lens, you should be able to blow or brush it clean for quite awhile before it will need to be cleaned again. As an amateur, this is something that has worked well for me. Of course, I will defer to the opinions of professionals.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:24 PM   #10

That formula MC just smells that ethyl alcohol. I use that formula MC and smelled it today. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it is.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote