Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:00 PM   #1

My local camera store sells Kalt adapter rings, which they say are made by the same company that makes Tiffen. I bought one and some of the threads were missing!

Any one else have any experience with this brand? Are they any good?

I'm taking the step-down ring back, but wonder about the overall quality of this brand. Did I just get a rare lemon, or are they all this bad?!

Thanks for responding.

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:34 PM   #2

Hi Jane.... generally, Kalt accessories are low quality. I usually try to buy Tiffen or Hoya as they seem to give reasonable quality without breaking the bank ! :G
ronsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:56 AM   #3

I agree with ronsec.
I had one Kalt step ring that came on a lens that was fine. Based on that, I purchased two others on eBay. The finish on these was very rough. The threads were rough and gritty, almost like a file.

Nowdays, I buy my adapters from 2Filter.com whenever possible. I have purchased several Tiffen ones from them and have been satisfied with their quality. Their prices are similar to what you can typically find on eBay for generic brands of questionable quality.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:31 AM   #4

segbert wrote:
Quote:
I agree with ronsec.
I had one Kalt step ring that came on a lens that was fine. Based on that, I purchased two others on eBay. The finish on these was very rough. The threads were rough and gritty, almost like a file.

Nowdays, I buy my adapters from 2Filter.com whenever possible. I have purchased several Tiffen ones from them and have been satisfied with their quality. Their prices are similar to what you can typically find on eBay for generic brands of questionable quality.

Thank you for this. Yes, the Kalt ring I bought was terrible, very rough and gritty, just as you said. I'm going to return it today!

I will definitely check out the 2Filter.com site. Thanks so much for the link!

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote