Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:57 AM   #1

since I now have adigi. I was wondering if a portable darkroom be cobbled together for it. do any of the pdas out there have the capabitlity of doing editing of images and viewing. My camera uses sd cards and i have seen the ipaq that has dual slots for a sd and cf card, hp states they have some imaging software built in but i can not find any definites from their website or any of the other pda manufacturers. i am not looking for any thing complex mostly cropping and a few minor paint utilites.
sean m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

Go to jasc.com.

See if they will certify Paint Shop Pro to run on your PDA.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Administrator

Well, you can find software for editing images on a PDA. You'll need to make sure the software can run on the operating system your PDA is using.

For example, there are a number of image editors available for Microsoft Pocket PC.

Now, depending on how much editing you're trying to do, you will run into limitations. For one thing, the small displays on a PDA may not lend themselves very well to viewing details. For another, color accuracy of LCD displays is questionable (even on larger desktop displays). You'll also need to make sure you've got plenty of RAM available for your photos.

Keep in mind that a JPEG image is compressed. So, when expanded (decompressed) in memory, it's much larger. For example,a 5MP image from a typical digital camera is actually over 14mb in size when decompressed (even though the JPEG file may be 1 or 2mb in size). The editor will also take up room in RAM, and may need to keep more than one copy of an image in memory while editing.

Here is one package I found (by simply using Google to search using the keywords Image Editor and Pocket PC):

http://www.idruna.com/products_pocketpc.html

It requires a minimum of7mb of RAM per megapixel for images. Chances are, this only includes one "undo" (if any)

I don't have any personal experience trying to use a PDA for image editing purposes. If I were going to try, I'd probably get a model with Microsoft Pocket PC, and as much RAM as possible, with a display that had as much resolution as possible. It appears that a model like the HP Ipaq 4705 would be something to consider. It runs Windows Mobile for Microsoft Pocket PC, TFT display with VGA resoluton and 64k colors, has 64mb of RAM (192mb total memory, but that's comprised of 128mb Flash ROM + 64mb SDRAM).

It appears that HP does ship a Pocket PC version of HP Image Zone Express with their Ipaq models. However, from reading through the userguide, it does not appear that this version is going to give you any editing ability to speak of like the desktop version does (the Pocket PC versionappears to be geared towards viewing and printing images, versus editing them -- probably because of the RAM limitations you have with these mobile devices).

Hopefully, some users experienced with PDA's will respond. Personally, if I had a need for a PDA (and absolutely had to have editing capability on it), I'd get one with as much power and RAM as possible, with the best display I could find. Then,I'd download trial versions of image editing packages designed for the PDA's operating sytstem until I found the best compromise for what I was trying to do. I'd probably lean towards a Microsoft Pocket PC platform.

But, I seriously doubt that you'd have anywhere near the capability you'd have with a desktop PC using one of them. They would probably be crude at best trying to run in such a small amount of RAM.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4

I haven't purchased a pda yet, but the main objective that I am looking for is to be able to crop the images on a screen larger than the 1.5" lcd on my camera. A few built in filters type applications and the ablility to add some paint charteristics is about all that I am looking for.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:10 AM   #5

Wow...I don't see how this can be really useful. Any PDA screen size is really going to hurt your ability to evaluate your images. For instance, I've set up over 5 large companies that use Laptops & Notebooks for 90% of their operations. However, whenever the person was in the office, they always plugged into a 20" monitor...because, there was absolutely no way to see how good something looked...even with the best laptop screens.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:10 AM   #6

Call it more a white elephant or a pipe dream. Since i am planning on going to college in the summer I thought having a pda would make a good classroom companion and since they market them with built incameras, mp3 players, games, voice recorders, and other gadgets(sorta a star trek thing).i reallly don't want the expense of a laptop or the weight of one.(just got a new desktop for xmas). Plus most of the college campuses around herehave set up wifi spots along with the shain coffee shops like starbucks.The idea was to have a way of veiwing my photos,doing small editing tasks, plus the ability to wifi the images to an online album so that my memory card space is not kept full of snapshots were more serious art could be stored. The hp model that I have done some research has built in imaging software or firmware and the capacity to hold both a sd card and a compact flach card(fit the camera sd card in one slot and strapp a 4 gig flasd drive in the other for serious storage capactity. I had a chance to play with one at circuit city yesterday and had a tough time of figuring out how to make everything work(this model also had a built in camera 1.2 mp I believe). I think I am going either to a dell kiosk or over to compusa and have their sell people show me how to operate the dohickies.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:12 AM   #7

i guess the main thing i want to know is it possible more than practical.