Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 15, 2002, 8:54 AM   #1

Default What is a macro reversing ring ? and use ?

I keep seeing them for sale on ebay but cant suss out what they are?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2002, 2:14 PM   #2
DOC

Hi Tony, a macro reversing ring allows SLR lenses to be mounted to the camera body backwards thus allowing extremely close focusing with certain lenses.
Unfortunatly the ring can not be used to reverse lenses on the Nikon DSLR"s as Nikon warns this may cause damage to the body.
I am not sure about the Canon camera usage, the warning will also apply to the Kodak DSLR's that use nikon bodies.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 4:26 AM   #3

Default Macro reversing ring

Are you quite sure about this? The macro reversing rings that I have used both with my Nikon FE and Nikon F go onto the front of the normal 50mm lens, and enable a second lens, normally a 135mm, to mount backwords in front of the prime lens. This combination gives very high magnification for extreme close-up pictures. I have never heard of a lens mounting backwards directly onto the camera body.
cheers
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 4:52 PM   #4
DOC

Yes Ken I am quite sure, I have been using the Nikon BR-2 reversing ring since 1965. This adapter screws into the 52mm front thread on the lens and has the F mount on the back allowing the lens to be installed backwards. Although I seem to remember an adapter similar to what you describe (male thread on both sides) I have never used one. Neither the latest Nikon full line catalog nor any of their others I have that go back 15 years shows it. My recollection leads me to a Tiffen adapter designed to allow the reversal of close up lenses (filter style).
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 4:05 AM   #5

Default Reversing rings

Thanks for clearing that up. I have to say that this is a new one on me, and I thought I knew my Nikons! Like you, I am now all digital although I still have the Nikons. I now use the Sony 717 which is superb, but a pain in the butt for a spectacles wearer using the EVF. I have not tried the Nikon 5700 but I must seek one out to see if it will be any better in this respect.
cheers
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 2:16 AM   #6

Default Re: What is a macro reversing ring ? and use ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
I keep seeing them for sale on ebay but cant suss out what they are?
This is a somewhat confusing term. In Nikon's terminology, a reverse ring (e.g., BR3) is a ring that has a F-mount in the one end and a 52mm female thread in the other. Another related term is MACRO COUPLER. This is simply a thin ring with TWO male thread (with possibly different thread size). A macro coupler can be used to join two lenses together. If the prime lens (i.e., the lens to be mounted on a camera) has focal length X and the reversed lens (i.e., the lens mounted reversely on the prime lens with a macro coupler) has focal length Y, then the magnification of this combo is X/Y. For example, if one reversely mount a 50mm lens in front a 200mm lens, the combo will have a magnification of 200/50=4X (i.e., four times of the life size).

The "It All Starts with Thread Size and Rings" page may offer a little more details.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote