Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

Hello, this is my first post here.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 8700, and I am looking for a portable storage device. I have been thinking about getting a laptop to save the photos to, which would be best, so I can see the photos right after I take them. I have also researched the photo ipod, and a few other devices like it, and it looks like a pretty good option as well. I'd really like some input from users of different methods of saving photos in the field. So let me know what you do, and what devicewould beideal for this type of thing.

Thanks,

Scott
ilherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:55 PM   #2

Hi Scott and welcome aboard

A much more portable and cheaper alternative to a laptop is the FlashTrax. It has a40GB USB 2.0 hard drive, stores high res images from any flash memory card, and photos can be viewed instantly on it's 3.5" LCD screen. It will also display video and play MP3 files.Fits nicely in your camera bag. Cost is around $500, probably cheaper viathe internet. I don't own one yet but have seen them demostrated at Photo shows.

The Stinger
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:11 PM   #3

Scott,

I purchased a 20 Gig Flash Trax this fall. I took about 300 large RAW format pictures in Hawaii and saved them to my Flash Trax. It's small, well built and easy to use. Virtually any RAW format can be viewed and I don't know of any other machine that allows that. On the 8 hour flight back I was able to view the results, zoom to check the quality and delete any that I was not satisfied with. The 3.5 inch screen is very clear and bright for my tired old eyes. I plan a trip to Europe next and will enjoy it's convenience and compact design.

Another tip I read in a Photo magazine article. At a big wedding you can take the Flash Trax and approach others with digital cameras at the end of the festivities and borrow the memory chip and save it to your machine. All you might need is a media adapter and you will be able to preview and print everyone's candid wedding and/or reception pictures. I have a son getting married this spring and both families have requested a CD of this collection.

John
Happy Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:14 PM   #4

Scott,

I forgot to tell you. I purchased my Flash Trax from buy.com. With a discount coupon applied I think I paid about $315 for the 20 Gig unit and shipping was free.

John
Happy Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5

If you don't mind not being able to see the pictures in the field and want something a little cheaper, the Magic Box USB On-The-Go USB hard drive enclosure might work. It takes a 2.5" laptop drive, has a rechargeable battery and does not need to be connected to a computer to store the pictures from the memory card. Cost is $50.00 plus the hard drive expense. Here is a link to one place that carries them:
http://www.meritline.com/usb-hdd-enclosure-hard-drive-external-host.html]http://www.meritline.com/usb-hdd-enclosure-hard-drive-external-host.html]http://www.meritline.com/usb-hdd-enclosure-hard-drive-external-host.html[/url]
Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:45 PM   #6

There is also one similar to mentioned above it is called woolverine drive. It has a built in card reader and u can transfer the file from your card to the hard drive. the quoted battery life is 1.6 hrs. I saw this one at Fry's and also available at their online store www.outpost.com The 40 gb was for $150. I dont have it my self so cant vouch for it. you will not be able to watch your pictures on it but i believe it will confirm the xfer. Has anyone else seen it or used it. I want to buy this one but would also like more info

ag
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote