Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:40 AM   #1

Hello. I'm looking to take some surf level shots, approximatly 1m below the surface but with waves breaking over me so waterproof housing would be a must.I'll won't use the system with tanks so should never exceed 10m below the surface. Now aside from the just argument cameras and water really do notgo togeather. Has anyone used a digital SLR in a flexible plastic (EG: ewa - marine case) without any issues, problems? Now the hardcase silicon (EG: ikelite) would protect the camera more but would damage my wallet alot more. All advise, tips and stories are appriciated.

thankyou
stompystills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:24 PM   #2

I'm a diver and take my camera a lot deeper than you propose. For my purposes only a hard housing will do and I use an Ikelite. I friend tried a ewa-marine bag on a film SLR and found that the pressure made it impossible to use at about 5 metres. It did keep the camera dry and there is a good chance that you would be able to operate the camera at 1-2 metres. One problem is that when housings leak it is usually at the shallow depths. As you go deeper the pressure actually helps the housing seal tighter. I have had one very minor leak on my Ikelite housing and that was while exiting the sea in heavy surge.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:40 PM   #3

I have used the EWA Marine product for my Nikon Coolpix 885, and have had GREAT success with it. Mainly used it at the local YMCA to take family pictures, and it worked like a charm. I had to purchase a tube for the camera, so the lens wouldn't bump against the glass front when zooming in and out, but it worked very well. I purchases it off eBay for about $50 a year or so ago. Don't remember what model it was, but I'm now looking at purchasing the EWA Marine D-A for the Nikon 8800 I'm ordering later this week. But, here's a thumbs up from a satisfied customer of EWA Marine Products.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't think you really want to trust a $50 plastic bag to protect your $1000+ investment do you? Just my two cents :roll:worth ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:36 AM   #5

NO, too true, but I'd bet the dslr manufacturers would like it if everyone used the baggies. Lots of replacement camera sales. :-)

Remember about water pressure, at 10.2m you are at 1 atmosphere = 14.5psi, that may not sound high but it can cause a lot of unexpected leaks and a surprising amount of damage. Water has a strange way of being able to get into things.

IMHO: For real surface use, paddling, and snorkeling maybe to1m I might trustit for a P&S, not my SLR's.

I'd be looking at Ikelite or maybe Sea and Sea but I am afraid theprice will be frightening. (1400$-2000$ range)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:40 AM   #6

Check into the Under Water Digital Forum on this site, some good info there as well.

Peter,
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:47 AM   #7

Well, I ordered my Nikon 8800 a few minutes ago, and I'm planning on purchasing the EWA Marine D-A "baggie" for it. So, yes, I would, and will, trust my camera to this product. Now, I'm not a diver, we use it for the YMCA pool (9 ft depth), and snorkelling on vacation (Max depth of 15 ft, probably). I can't justify purchasing an IkeLight housing for $1000 (More than the replacement cost of the Nikon 8800) for the light usage my camera will get under water. I haven't seen Fantasea annouce a housing for the 8800, maybe they will soon, and if taht becomes an option, I'll consider their housings. If you're a diver, then the EWA Marine products may NOT be for you. Unless you've seen and touched the EWA Marine products, I can understand your hesitation. I'm going to use the EWA D-A product with my Nikon 8800 and not think twice about it. I may weep tears of sorrow, and have to eat crow in the future, but for now, I have no hesitations using their product.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote