Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

Hi
I'm about to leave for Disney with my 5 y/o twins - their first trip. Naturally I'm going to want to shoot every event from every angle and luckily they are camera hogs. My 512 Memory Stick Pro won't hold nearly enough to get us through so I'm trying to sort out my options. As the trip is going to cost a bunch o' dough I'm hoping to find the cheapest reliable storage device.

I am willing to forego a display for the sake of budget. I'm planning on doing nightly transfers at the hotel so speed and weight don't matter much to me either.

Ideas, thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

(if only my iPod had the docking port I could use it with an adaptor but unfortunately I can't use this to justify buying a new one)
dmaxdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

dmax,

I'm pretty new to all this too, so please keep that in mind.

I'm currently looking at the X's Drive II+ VP2160 (by Vosonic), which is US $169.99 at mydigitaldiscount.com. From a blurb on that site:

"(This unit is the smallest 2.5-inch hard drive based portable storage device on the market.)

* USB 2.0 High speed compatible

* A standard-alone, Plam size and rechargeable storage device.

* Support SM, SD/MMC, MS ,MS Pro and CFType I/II,MicroDrive, Mini-SD (with adapter) ,RS-MMC (with adapter),MS Duo (with adapter),MS Pro Duo (with adapter).

* Infinite memory & storage expansion configuration with internal Hard Disk

* Black and White LCD displays working status ( no picture preview ).

* Fast & easy file transfer and storage with a simple button operating."

They show a pic of a man putting it into his shirt pocket, BTW; you can then understand how small it is!

So far, I've only been able to find one review of this unit (gads, can't remember where, sorry), but basically the chap said it did what it was supposed to do (download pics from memory card) albeit somewhat slowly. Although it does have a screen, it doesn't preview pics, just tells you it's downloading them, when it's complete, etc.

Vosonic's VP3310 looks interesting and doubles as an MP3 player (altho it doesn't get high marks for that). Again, just an LCD screen to show it's downloading pics, no previews. Heftier than the 2160.

I've also considered the CompactDrive PD7X (also available at mydigitaldiscount, at US $159.99. Also very compact, lightweight.

One last one I'm considering is the MediaGear Flash Hard Drive to Go. I don't have all the specs in front of me and can't remember the website, but I'm sure if you google it you'll find the site.

Other such units are pricier (I'm maxing out at about US $200), except maybe for the Apacer Disc Steno, which burns the pics to CDs.

I'm sure more knowledgable people will answer you, but these are the ones I'm looking at at the moment. As I don't take my trip to San Francisco until April, I've got plenty of time to decide. Hope you find what you're looking for, and have fun on vacation! :-)
JerseyGirl1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:23 PM   #3

Oh...and I *don't* work for mydigitaldiscount.com! They've gotten some pretty good reviews at the usual review sites and their prices are pretty good/ :G
JerseyGirl1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:03 PM   #4
TC3

JerseyGirl1962 wrote:
Quote:
Oh...and I *don't* work for mydigitaldiscount.com! They've gotten some pretty good reviews at the usual review sites and their prices are pretty good/ :G
Sure you dont!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote