Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1

I found an interesting camera mount. It uses a large clamp, a flexible neck, and a swivel ball camera mount. I've been looking for something I could mount on my boat for those fish pictures of the ones you always catch when you fish alone. website is: http://www.provideohunter.com . I ordered one and will post review if anyone is interested.

I bought this mounting system as previously mentioned and after looking at it, I decided to use part of it and see what I could come up with. I ended up only using the neck of the mount. I used the head off another tripod I had and it screwed right into the neck no problem. I decided to mount the neck directly to the deck of the kayak. I wanted a little more contact surface than just the neck so I bought two stainless steel washers and a neoprene washers- all 2" diameter. While I was at the hardware store, I found a plastic knob which fit the 1/4X20 threads on the neck. This is handy because I don't have to have a tool to install or remove the mount now. So here is a picture of the components laid out prior to assembly.

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the kayak deck and installed the mount using a stainless steel washer above and below the deck and the neoprene washer between the bottom of the neck and the stainless washer. The following pictures show the mount installed on the kayak.

As you can see the gooseneck is necessary to level the camera on the slanted deck. The next picture shows the installation under the deck of the kayak. Note the knurled plastic knob for easy install and removal.

I haven't given the mount the acid test yet on the water, but that will come soon. Pictures to follow.
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:49 PM   #2

Interesting item. May have to get me one of those!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:40 PM   #3

This is the result of my bow mounted camera. This was shot with a Olympus D-340R camera. I had to activate the camera, then set up the timer and then activate the shutter to start the timer, then I had ten seconds to get ready. The first shot is me with flyrod in hand and hooked up to a fish.

and this is the fish- a speckled trout, a saltwater species caught fromTexas to the coast of the Carolinas. World record- 17 pounds. This one obviously much smaller.

Picture quality is not great but suitable for my purposes. I haven't gotten up the courage to use my FZ-20. Might have just a bit of a tilt as well.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:51 PM   #4

Isn't is it a good feeling to finally find something that works for you?? Now, everyone will believe your stories about the fish that didn't get away.

Have fun with your new toy!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

Thanks . Have a great day!