Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:40 AM   #1

i am in the process of putting together an order for my first dSLR (my first digicam)..pentax *istDS..!!!

wondering abouth the following...

-do i still need a UV filter with a digicam? if so any special brand, i havent bought filters in years...buying thru b/h..(b+w, hoya, tiffen etc?) what about these multi-coated uv filters?

-has anyone used the tamrac velocity 6 shoulder/ sling pack?

-rechargable nicad aa's or recarchable cvr-3's?

-what do you all think of the tamron 70-300 zoom lens for $149 us.??

thanks

sb
SoxFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

i can only answer2 of youe issues.

NiCad batteries are a dead issue. NiMh batteries are the way to go. energizer 2500mah 4pack is about $10 at walmart or target. though a few cents more i'd rather buy at target.

the UV filter today on a digital camera is more for front element protection. get only a multicoated one like a hoya HMC. now there is a chance under certiain lighting conditions that the added layer of glass can initiate flare in your image. especially from angled point source lighting. do not be afraid to remove the filter to take the image.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:22 PM   #3

A UVP is a must I wont take mine off other than to clean the inside of it and my lens.

Rechargables cvr-3's seem the way to go but AA's are more useful for other things like flashes and meters but the more batteries you have to deal with the more of a bain in your rear end it can be.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:15 PM   #4

sjms wrote:
Quote:
i can only answer*2 of youe issues.

NiCad batteries are a dead issue. NiMh batteries are the way to go. energizer 2500mah 4pack is about $10 at walmart or target. though a few cents more i'd rather buy at target.

the UV filter today on a digital camera is more for front element protection. get only a multicoated one like a hoya HMC. now there is a chance under certiain lighting conditions that the added layer of glass can initiate flare in your image. especially from angled point source lighting. do not be afraid to remove the filter to take the image.
sorry i meant nimh not nicad...

so the multicoated are better? why out of pure curiosity?
2500mah only 10 bucks-rechargables? i will have to check my target out...

the recharge-cv-r-3's are also a consideration

thanks
SoxFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:16 PM   #5

the point of multicoating is to reduce/eliminate reflections on both sides of the glass plate (that being your filter). a good MC filter will transmit 99+% of the light through the glass. pretty much all the elements in your lens are MC'd too. for the same reason. you have air/glass gaps in the optical system juat as those between the filter and front element.

now that thats been said the UV filter is not perfect under all conditions. in high intensity off angle point source lighting there is still a possibility of ghosting or flare though minimal. so if necessary you might want to remove the filter to get the shot. it happens.

on to the batteries- yep target. i got 3 sets there.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote