Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old May 8, 2005, 1:47 PM   #1

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to select a digital projector. Is there a site here where I will find evaluations? thanks for your help.
Mary Lou
mlfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 4:58 PM   #2

I recently went through this and found it difficult to find many reviews. This site may help. I eventually bought a BENQ 6110. It's lower resolution than I'd ideally like at 800x600 but I bought it for a club and the budget determined the resolution.

I've limited experience of projectors and chose this one because it is a DLP projector. So far I've been very impressed with the image quality. DLP projectors have a much greater contrast ratio than LCD projects at 2000:1 as opposed to about 400:1. I think this makes a big difference to the quality of projected photographs. I have read comments that the technology can cause a rainbow effect on moving images but I haven't seen this. Apparently it is something some people notice and others don't see. Regardless I did't consider it a problem as the projector was required for still pictures. I've also used a Sony LCD projector for photographs and to my eyes it didn't match up to the Benq.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3

thanks for the comments. Incidentally, I enjoyed your fish image. I have been an underwater photographer for 18 years and I imagine you are, too. I will go back to the projector I was looking at the compare it.

Mary Lou
Old May 9, 2005, 6:39 PM   #4

Yes I've been taking photos underwater for about 10 years. take a look at my website at www.ksbyrne.f9.co.uk

I've used the Benq projector at an underwater photography club meeting for the first time tonight. The feedback on the picture quality was very good.

Ken

Old May 9, 2005, 7:48 PM   #5

Ken, I especially enjoyed seeing your images from the U.K. The species are quite different from what I have seen. I, too, have a website for photos. It can be found at:
www.geocities.com/scubamlou

The projector I am looking at seems to be similar to the one you have. It is on sale at compusa.com for US$699

EzPro 732H Projector, SVGA, 1500 Lumens, DLP
Manufacturer: Optoma Technology
Old May 10, 2005, 5:21 AM   #6

You've some great shots there. I like the close ups of the various tube worms, I know how difficult they are to shoot.

The projector you are looking at is another I considered. I looked at this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/and there are 2 owner reviews, looks OK. The main problem with reviews is that most people are consifering the suitability for watching video. My choice was mainly because it was on clearance and I got a really good price.

Old May 10, 2005, 7:51 PM   #7

Check out www.avsforums.com and www.projectorcentral.com. I bought an Optoma 745 (which is the same as the 739). It is native 1024x768 which is nice for pictures. You need to have the patience to tweak the settings on any projector you buy though, to get the best picture quality. For projectors you can buy a calibration DVD to help you do this. At the very least run the THX optimizer that comes on some DVDs to tweak projector settings.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote