Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

I read you could use a Linear on the FZ20.How is that so if it is auto focus?Which polarizer would be better for the camera?I know the Linear would be better for my pocket!
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:59 PM   #2

Linear works just as well as a circular on a FZ20. Linear polarizers evidently mess up semi-reflective mirror focusing on some DSLRs, but it doesn't affect the focusing system on the FZ20.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

Does a Linear have the same adjusting ring as the Circular?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

Most do I think. The rotating adjustment has nothing to do with the type of polarizer.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:23 PM   #5

Will a Circular work OK on the FZ20 or am I wasting my money?Theirs seems to be more choices of Circulars out there.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:52 PM   #6

A circular polarizer will work just fine. If you find you have choices with features you want that aren't available in a linear polarizer then get a circular. They will work exactly the same on a FZ20 as far as the polarizing effect and camera operation. Some people will tell you a circular has less polarizing effect, but I think they are just blowing wind. Every paper I have read says they have exactly the same effect.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:13 PM   #7

Slipe,
Thankyou so much!
You have been very helpful.
Gellis1

Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:22 AM   #8

Although I have not compared a circular with a linear side-by-side, personal experience has shown me that the circular polarizer is less effective than a linear. The linear filter produces darker skys and a much more pronounced contrast between light and dark areas. I used a linear polarizer with an auto-focus camera (Nikon N70) with no problems. That may not be the case for every camera.

My current circular polarizer is large (82mm). It only fits two of my lenses (one with a stepup ring). Perhaps larger sized circular filters don't work as well--I don't know. I started using the Cokin filter system last year and have adapter rings for all my lenses. I think my next filter element purchase will include both a linear and a circular polarizer.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:31 PM   #9

This was the first I ran across from an industry source, in this case Tiffin Filter Facts:

"Circular polarizer: Provides the same filter effects as a Linear Polarizer , but is designed to work with auto focus cameras with beam splitting metering."

I had done some research a few months ago and most of the filter companies were saying that along with some technical papers. The filter company that didn't say that didn't have anything to say on the subject.

You see a lot of people saying the linear is stronger because the wave retardant depolarizes the light for beam splitting meters, and they think that reduces the effect. But the polarized light from reflections and from the sky have already been filtered out by the linear polarizer in the first layer. Depolarizing doesn't put it back. Unless the first linear polarizing layer is weaker the final effect is the same.

Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:26 PM   #10

I don't know the technical details. I just know I have been very unhappy with my circular polarizer. The effects with the linear were more dramatic. Technical papers can say all they want but it's the user that makes the final judgement.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote