Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:11 PM   #1

I am waiting for my Phayee adapter for my FZ20 to show up.In the mean time I am confused on which hood to buy.The" Hama" round rubber type or a plastic petal type?Is the shape a performance factor?If the petal shaped hood is better,does anybody have any advice on which one to buy?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:23 AM   #2

The Phayee lens adapter ends up with a 72mm thread which allows a Hama 72mm rubber hood to be attached. The hood can be folded back for lower zoom amounts. I like it.

JMO

STAN

PS The Phayee hood come in three sections: The adapter itself 62mm; a short ring 72mm; and a ring to cover the threads on the front of the adapter for aesthetic reasons. Of no mechanical use.
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:58 AM   #3

Is it ok to use just the 62mm Phayee tube?And not both tubes, Will it be long enough with a hood?That way you only have to deal with one size thread for filters and a hood.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Is it ok to use just the 62mm Phayee tube?And not both tubes, Will it be long enough with a hood?That way you only have to deal with one size thread for filters and a hood.
It is possible to use a 62mm hood on the Phayee lens adaptereither with a filter or not.

The Hama hood folds back to reduce vignetting in lower zooms. Any Vignetting present can be seen in the EVF/LCD. [Dark corners] I hike the second part because it puts the hood further out to reduce glare and sunlight. I also use the 72 hood and/or filter on the TCON 17 with a 77/72 step down conversion ring. Does not add any additional vignetting.

I have made wrap around sheet plastic hoods for the TCON-14B and the WCON-08B. Easy to store in my waist-pac.

STAN
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

What makes the Hama hood so popular over other brands?It seem other brands use the same type of rubber with a metal ring just like the Hama.I have never heard of the company Hama.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:40 PM   #6

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
What makes the Hama hood so popular over other brands?It seem other brands use the same type of rubber with a metal ring just like the Hama.I have never heard of the company Hama.

When I bought my FZ20 late last year I posted and received comments that the Hama hood was very good. So I bought one.

Have not been sorry.

Yes there are others but I cannot vouch for them.

Stan

Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:03 PM   #7

If I buy a 72mm Hama hood to go on my Phayee adapter what size filter or lens cap fits the Hama?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:10 PM   #8

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
If I buy a 72mm Hama hood to go on my Phayee adapter what size filter or lens cap fits the Hama?
The first part of the Phayee adapter has 62mm threads for a 62mm filter. I also use a 62mm cap but is has to be center closing. Get one from Phayee with a pig-tail.

Then second part of the Phayee has 72mm threads for the hood.

Stan
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:30 AM   #9

I plan on using a 62mm UV filter on the first section of the Phayee and then a 72mm Hama hood on the second section.I already have a 72mm B+W polarizer and a lens cap.Will they go on the second section with the Hama hood on? Will the polarizer be to far from the lens and will I be in the same boat as the original setup as the panasonic?If this setup works will the quality of pics be compromised by having to filters on and spaced as I described?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:09 AM   #10

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
I plan on using a 62mm UV filter on the first section of the Phayee and then a 72mm Hama hood on the second section.I already have a 72mm B+W polarizer and a lens cap.Will they go on the second section with the Hama hood on? Will the polarizer be to far from the lens and will I be in the same boat as the original setup as the panasonic?If this setup works will the quality of pics be compromised by having to filters on and spaced as I described?
The general opinion is that the filter should be near the lens. In this case, the use of a 62mm filter on the Phayee is technically correct.

Having the filter as close as possible to the lens lessens the chance to lens flare and keeps the color brighter form the effects of random ambient glare.

I did by a 72mm filter when I first bought my FZ20 but now use the 72 on my TCON 17 Tele.

Stan