Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:28 PM   #1

Default tripods

Bought a tripod today and will have to return it tomorrow. The quick release on it partly covers my battery compartment.
So what do you all suggest for a tripod that has a smaller quick-release pad?
Thanks
Dave
deebeeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:06 AM   #2

Which tripod is it?
( is it a tripod for video camera?)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:16 AM   #3

I don't know the brand. (It's out in my car and it's cold outside) But the box said it would work for camcorders, digital cameras, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:52 AM   #4

if the tripod socket on the camera is positioned by the battery compartment your going to have a tough time around that issue with any QR system. most QR plates are at least an inch in both dimensions for stability. i have seen 1 model of QR that was a peg type. but then you couldn't put the camera down on any surface without it toppling over.

i just looked at the 4000z (tiny little thing). there is a QR system that will work but i'm afraid the cost return benefit would not be to you liking. you need a plate tha can be positioned to the left of ctr of the tripod socket.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:39 AM   #5

I had just as much problem finding a tripod with the plate hinging the best way to reach the cam controls - so this tripod stuff is not all simple!

I'm not a pro, but a suggestion is you can buy an adaptor (don't know its name) but it's cylindrical about 2" high, has just a stud and lock ring on top with a ball in a housing and a slot to shift the stud through 90 deg.

It might negate the reason for buying the detachable plate sort, but it gives you 2" above the tripod and only has a 3/4" dia locking ring and slim profile under the camera.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:23 PM   #6

I ended up finding a Kodak tripod at Circuit City for $20 US that turned out to be just perfect. I can leave the quick connect on the camera and still get into the batteries. The only problem is that it (and any quick connect foot) makes the camera thicker than I would like for fitting into my camera bag. Oh well. Take the good with the bad.
DBF
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:58 PM   #7

I went out to my welding shop and built a metal insert about 1.5 inches high and welded a stud on top and a threaded nut on botom works great. now clears the quick release. used a piece of square tubbing for the insert.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:59 PM   #8

Cowboy 43...

Patent it

Retire on the royalties!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:08 AM   #9

when buying a tripod, it's always best to bring the camera(s) with you so you can stick it on top of it to test it to see if it meets your needs and operating ciriteria.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote