Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:04 PM   #1

I've been looking into buying the close up filters and or extension tubes for my Canon 20D. I have the kit lens and a 75-300mm zoom. I would like to get into more macro stuff but I don't have the budget to spring for a new lens. I know that would be the best thing to do but times are tough and am trying to find a decent alternative. If anybody has any advice they could give me it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:51 PM   #2

Take a trip to E-bay. Some really great deals there.
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:31 AM   #3

Yeah...I've seen that but I'm wondering if it's even worth bothering with. The quality of the pictures doesn't have to be professional or anything but my lenses are not great as it is and would like to have decent quality and was wondering if these options would take away that much from the pictures?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:12 PM   #4

I would strongly recommend the use of extension tubes. I have been using them with great success for years on several different cameras.

The advantage of extension tubes is that they can be used with any lens. Kenko makes individual tubes and sets of three (12mm, 20mm, 36mm). They can be used individually or stacked in any combination. All exposure and auto-focus functions are preserved although in macro work it is best to focus manually. The set of three will cost about $150. Individual 25mm tubes are available but I don't know the cost.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

Thanks calr....Asalways your advice is appreciated! I think I'll check the tubes out and see what happens.

Grady
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:36 AM   #6

I used an extensionbellows for many years on my old non-AF Minolta X-570, and couldn't live without it. When I got the 7D, I realized (a) I couldn't use the old bellows on the new camera and (b) all the new bellows are fully coupled automatic (read: expensive) and you seldom need auto anything with extended lenses. So I bought the Kenko rings from B&H. Having been tied up with a wedding shoot, I haven't had time to play with them except for a quick shot of the couple's rings. I'll have to gain a feel for how much extension to install, because in the past I just dialed it in till it looked right, and never paid attention to how many mm I extended.

Another accessory I can't use with the new camera is my Sunpak ringflash. They say they do not plan to provide a module for the new KM's! Now, macro photography is a special lighting challenge. It's tough to light the subject when it's about 1/2" from the front lens element! And the new lenses are too big in diameter for ringflashes anyway. So I'm looking into building an LED ring illuminator, as described in several websites.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:20 PM   #7

Hey, jimjomac, can you list a few of those web sites that give instructions on how to build the led ring illuminator? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks! :|
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote