Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:23 PM   #1

Forum newbie here! I've been a regular visitor to Steve's Digicams for ages. Just bought myself an FZ20 today - it's terrific, and has exceeded my expectations so far. I'm very happy with it. I was wondering - does anyone know of any infrared filters that are compatible with this camera - and if yes, do you know of any dealers in the Montreal area? When I was going to University & enrolled in photography courses I used to tinker with B&W film photography using infrared filters, and would love to do some infrared filter / B&W work with my new FZ20. Thanks!
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

A 72mm Hoya R72 will fit the FZ20 lens tube but they are expensive. Many people buy a step down adaptor tube to use attachments. I have a Yoshida 1062B 62mm tube. Unfortunately, the FZ20 is not very good at taking IR photos. The exposure time tends to be 1/8 sec or slower. Now the FZ1 (2MP, 55mm thread) does decent IR and can achieve shutter speeds of 1/60 sec in bright sunlight. So with an FZ20, you will probably need a tripod to get decent IR pics.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3

You can also do a pretty decent simulation of the IR effect in software. Look for some user/tutorial sites for the image editor you use and if you don't get lucky, you can post the question. I've seen several books on Photoshop that deal with this. It seems to be a popular effect.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:02 PM   #4

Yes, one can come close to IR photos in PP but, IMO, that takes away most of the fun of doing IR in-camera!

Enjoy life!
Steven
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments & tips everyone. I'll keep my eyes open for IR filters in my area but in the meantime, I might try simulating it in Photoshop... sounds like a bit of interesting fun.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:03 PM   #6

PSP X now has a built-in infrared effects filter. It does an OK job. Still not the same as using a true IR filter on a camera. Just go to Effects -> Photo -> Infrared Filter.

Enjoy life!
Steven