Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1

Please help!! I have a DiMage 7 camera with no software. Minolta won't respond to me. Can't find anything on ebay. What do I need to transfer my pictures from the camera to my computer besides a USB cable? I've seen software for a DiMage 7(i), is this compatible with the DiMage 7? Minolta has all kinds of updates on Image Viewer Utility but they don't work unless you have the original version which seems to me is version 1.0.0 AT any rate, I have all kinds of family pictures on my camera and no means of transferring them to my computer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
danjer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2

For the transfert, us a CF card reader to transfert the pictures, it will be much painless.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3

Please excuse me but what the heck is a cf card reader? SHould i be looking at a certain kind?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

Take a look here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

You need only a single Compact flash card reader (your camera use "compact flash" card type)

You can buy nearly everywhere a CF card reader for 20$, plug it into the USB port of your computer, put the CF card into the reader and Bingo, you see the card as another drive in windows.

Sandisk, PNY and many card brand often give a free reader with some CF card .
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

You need one like this:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/im-cf-reader.asp

Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:53 PM   #6

If you have XP you don't need any software to download the images from the camera to the computer. My D7i showed up as a drive letter on Win98SE and I could download without any Minolta software as well. You need USB drivers for Win98, but they are available online. With the camera connected and switched on do you not have a drive letter for it in Windows Explorer or My Computer? It would likely be labeled "Removable drive". You can download directly from that drive letter.

The only thing you need the viewer software for is converting your raw files to TIFF or JPG if you don't have another conversion utility. Irfanview might be able to do that.

My Minolta was the only camera I have found a card reader to be really useful for. You can download directly from the camera but it is very slow.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:22 PM   #7

As mentioned, if you use WinXP and take your shots in Jpeg or Tiff, you don't need any additional software to get pictures into computer. If you shoot in RAW format, you do need something to convert the .MRW . There are a few programs to do this which can be downloded for free. Raw Shooter Essentials from Pixmantec is free and is very fast with good workflow. Irfanview is a pretty good program, also free. Raw Deal will give the best image quality from these cameras, but is a bit slow and clumsy to use. ( All these are of course my personal opinions).

Good luck with the camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:35 PM   #8

Thereis a reason why you may still want the sofware: to convert the D7 color space to the normal RGB color space (or something alike). If you view or print the pictures as it come from the camera, they may look a bit "washed out".

This is what I mean:

http://www.tawbaware.com/colorfix.htm

There are also many old thread / links and third party solutions also in the Minolta (now konica-Minolta) forums, explaining how to correct this without the Minolta software.

Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:34 AM   #9

Wow you people really know your stuff!! You've been very helpful. Ive been trying to find answers to this problem for 4 weeks, I come here and find help in hours! Im sure I'll be back for some other helpful hints. Thanks everyone