Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:39 AM   #1

I have been away from photography for a while now and would like people's opinion.

I am the proud owner of a new Fuji S9500 and I want to protect the lens (58mm). What does everyone suggest as the best for the job? I always used a Hoya UV(0) at least i thinkthat was what I used to use. It has been a while.

Has the use of filters and filter selection changed with the advent of digital photography?
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2

shadowlies wrote:
Quote:
What does everyone suggest as the best for the job? I always used a Hoya UV(0) at least i thinkthat was what I used to use. It has been a while.
May bea rubber shade ?always usefull as ... shock absorber:G

shadowlies wrote:
Quote:
Has the use of filters and filter selection changed with the advent of digital photography?
... not really, but color filter are not really useful now since you manipulate pics with software.
A polarizer is the next "must", IMO.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:58 PM   #3

shadowlies wrote:
Quote:
My sense of this is the following:

1. There is less need for ND filters, because you can set the ISO rating. To do the same thing as adding a 0.3 ND filter, just cut the ISO rating in half. Adjusting the ISO on a picture-by-picture basis makes ND filters less important.

2. Color correction is less of an issue, because you can set the white balance. So you don't really need color correction filters.

3. Most folks do all the dingy things that some photogs used to do with filters in software like PhotoShop now, so you don't need (if anyone ever did) all the dingbat filters.

4. You DO still need polarizers and GND filters. Rejection of scattered light and accommodating a larger dynamic range are still not"in the camera." Most folks opt for circular polarizers on digital cameras. It has something to do with the light metering on digital cameras, but I've never really understood the explanation. Just get a circular polarizer and forget about the issue.

5. If you are shooting in high altitudes or other areas suffering from haze, a UV filter is still appropriate.

FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:46 PM   #4

I use a skylight filter and a rubber lens hood to protect my lens. I use a polarizer because I find polarizing effects difficult to do on the computer. I will probably get a graduted neutral density filter soon even though this effect can be simulated pretty easily on the computer. Some digital cameras have built-in digital filters too, such as warming, cooling, black-and-white, sepia, etc. so there really is little need to buy glass to do those things. Your basic skylight or UV, polarizer and GND will probably be all the glass you'll need.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote