Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:16 PM   #1

I'm hoping someone will have some advice or info regarding extending a 36" shutter cable release to twenty feet.

I currently have an 3-foot RM-CB1 for my Olympus e10, and I need to cut-'n-splice an extension piece in to it.

Is it possible, does anyone know?

I've searched all over for a comparable type of cable (3-wire), with no luck so far. Radio Shack/Circuit City doesn't carry anything, nor do any of the hi-end digital camera shops I've checked in our local area.

I'm assuming the RM-CB1 is shielded? And if I extend it to 20-feet (or so), will the resistance be too much?

Or, does anyone know of a source for buying 20-foot shutter cable releases for the Oly e10? I contacted Paramount Cords in NYC but they want a king's ransom for me to send them my existing cable which they'll splice and ship back to me.

I prefer to use a cable release rather than the IR remote that came with the camera since the IR is notoriously unreliable and I've had three of them die on me in the past three years (subject to flourescent light interference and changes in humidity, etc.)

Any helpful advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:32 PM   #2

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
I currently have an 3-foot RM-CB1 for my Olympus e10, and I need to cut-'n-splice an extension piece in to it.

I don't see any problem

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
I've searched all over for a comparable type of cable (3-wire),
Look for ethernet cable (multi twisted pair) used for internet connection

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming the RM-CB1 is shielded?
There are stereo shielded cable too (1 shield + 2 signal conductors)

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
will the resistance be too much?
Give a try, but I don't think so. It must be simple contact, so .1 or .5 Ohm (just for example) should not be problematic at all.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 2:08 AM   #3

KCan wrote:
Quote:
SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:

I don't see any problem

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
I've searched all over for a comparable type of cable (3-wire),
Look for ethernet cable (multi twisted pair) used for internet connection

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming the RM-CB1 is shielded?
There are stereo shielded cable too (1 shield + 2 signal conductors)

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
will the resistance be too much?
Give a try, but I don't think so. It must be simple contact, so .1 or .5 Ohm (just for example) should not be problematic at all.
Ethernet cable, ok...thanks...I'll have a look and see if that suits my purpose.

I spent the better part of my day on the phone with a lot of places trying to find solutions - but came up with very little. Paramount Cords in NYC offered to splice and extend my existing cable - for $90US (plus shipping)...more than I cared to pay, however. Hell, its just a simple cord! heh

OlympusAmerica support kept me on hold a full hour before reaching a live techrep (after failing to reply to my email inquiry within the 48 hrs. they promise) - and even then the guy I spoke with was confused between the RM-CB1 and air release cables (duh). Waste of my time.

Thanks for the helpful input :-)

S.K.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

Have you checked the user links from Steve's main page? There appear to be quite a few related to your camera, and may have the info you need.

Failing that, you might try taking the cable to a TV/radio repair shop. I have done similar custom work. My suggestion would be to splice in new cable using in-line connectors, which would let you return the cable to its original length when you don't need to have all that extra to get in the way.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:25 PM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
My suggestion would be to splice in new cable using in-line connectors, which would let you return the cable to its original length when you don't need to have all that extra to get in the way.

brian
It's a good idea. In electronics/audio/video, there are many male/female connectors that let you make "extension".

For example, for 3 conductors, you can use stereo audio connector (exist in 1/4 and 1/8 inch>> head/ear phone)
There is also USB (4 conductors) but I don't know if they sell cable by foot
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:05 AM   #6

For cable, check out www.markertek.com
Plus they have tons of other neat stuff too, including connectors.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:47 AM   #7

Additional thanks for all the great suggestions.

I'll check around with some of our local tv/stereo repair shops and see if any of 'em can do the splicing. And in-line connectors definitely sounds the way to go.

Appreciate all the advice and info.

S.K.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8

Go to Radio Shack and get a twenty foot headphone extension cable with 1/8th plugs. Then purchase another set of 1/8th ends, cut and splice them into your existing cable. In that way you still have use of the 3ft cable and can add the extension when needed. Total cost is between 8&10 dollars.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:58 AM   #9

Tomsch wrote:
Quote:
Go to Radio Shack and get a twenty foot headphone extension cable with 1/8th plugs. Then purchase another set of 1/8th ends, cut and splice them into your existing cable. In that way you still have use of the 3ft cable and can add the extension when needed. Total cost is between 8&10 dollars.
Isn't headphone extension cable just two-wire? (left and right channel?)
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:08 AM   #10

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
Isn't headphone extension cable just two-wire? (left and right channel?)
Yes, butif you don't need any shield, you can use it asan 3 wires extension.