Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:40 PM   #1
A3D

I ordered and received a Kodak Performance Series Digital Camera Case for my DX6490, but I couldn't figure out how to insert the camera into the bag because it was way too small. I e-mailed Kodak and Sherry F. from the Online Store sent me the following reply:

"This is the recommended camera bag for the DX6490. I understand it's a snug fit, however, you may find that removing the inner padding creates more space inside the bag."

I did that and, yeah, I could then insert it, handgrip up only, into the bag — though it was still a tight fit. Removing the padding reduces the protection of the bag however which was one of the main features of the bag (case).

Okay, so I can return the case, but can any DX6490 user recommend a bag that they use that is perhaps more suitable? I have about 10 days before I can return the case.

Thanks
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2

I encountered the same problem after I bought my 6490. Looked around on ebay, Kodak sites, nothing seemed a good fit. Hauled my butt off to Walmart and lo and behold......a perfect fit!!! The brand name is "icon". The bag is wel padded, about 6 or 7 inches square, 4 inches deep and has tons of pockets. In my bag I have the camera, a lens filter adapter, 4 macro + filters, a mini tripod, x-tra battery, 2 x-tra memory cards and a homemade light ring. Yes, it's a tight fit with all that stuff but the camera itself fits quite nicley. Oh, and a lens cleaning kit.....happy hunting!
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3
A3D

waynespixels,

I'll check it out.

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:53 AM   #4

I use the LowePro Nova Mini bag if I'm going to be taking only one cam with me. It has room for filters, andmy minipod in the front pocket. I can also sneek in one lens. I picked up a Samsonite bag that I can put two cams in, and one lens along with other goodies. My big bag holds my DX6340, DX7590, P850, T-CON, Wide angle, filters, mini pod,and a host of other goodies. Thats a Canon bag bought at BestBuy. In fact all the bags came from BestBuy. Unless I have the dimentions of a bag I'd never buy one sight on seen.

PS the LowePro bags are really very nice, they are nicer then any bags I have ever bought. They make any size needed
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:34 PM   #5
A3D

sw2cam,

Thanks for your recommedations!

A3D
Old Oct 27, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6

I ran into the same with a 6490. Walmart was the store of choice. My problem is the velcro strips insige the bag and the heavy nylon liner. This is going to act like sandpaper over time. we have two other large flim camera bags, these have very soft linning. I want a small bag. so I strated looking in salvation armys at womens purse's. I found what I wanted for 3 bucks. All the cam bags I looked at were either to big or to small
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:55 PM   #7

A3D....................did you ever find a bag you liked. If so what did you buy? If you didn't take a look at the LowePro site. After some time and use it's the only bag thats holding up, and still like new. I can't say that for my big bag thats a quarterthe age. It's already loosing shape and collapsing in on it's self.

http://www.lowepro.com/
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:41 PM   #8
A3D

I took waynespixels' advice and went to Wal-mart, but I got the Icon bag in a larger size (about 8"Wx6"Dx8"Tall. It has a smooth lining, a front pocket, and a large zippered central space with a moveablevelcro divider which I sized to snugly fit my 6490 into and leaving a goodly space for my tripod, small Li-Ion charger and myUSB cord. There is plenty of room for accessories and other stuff, but, as you might know, it's a little bigger than I wanted.

I also took a leaf from sw2cam's book and after all my complaining about the Kodak Performance Series bag, I decided to keep it for those times when I just want something secure to carry my 6490 and a spare memory card and battery. After removing the liner and using it daily for about a week, it became loose enough to slide the camera in and out without much hassle.

I will probably be looking for a bag big enough for my Sony HandyCam and accessories, plus the DX6490 and all its extras as well. Maybe something with wheels...:roll:

Thanks for all your advice!

A3D