Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:01 AM   #11

Unfortunately, the insurance is close to useless. I spoke at length with my agent, and was advised that (a) it's automatically covered by the home-owners policy,and (b) if you collect on it, your premiums will go up enough to cancel the benefit. It would be worthwhile if you were a pro with many thousands of dollars of equipment, but even a modern DSLR isn't worth that much. His advice was just to swallow the cost, but of course do all possible to prevent the loss in the first place.

I understand PPA (Professional Photographers of America) has a real good policy, but membership is high. My pro friends belong, but I can't justify it.

The best approach is to make your equipment invisible, or stay away from dangerous areas. One's impossible, the other denies you the opportunity to take some great photos...
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:20 PM   #12

jimjomac wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the insurance is close to useless. I spoke at length with my agent, and was advised that (a) it's automatically covered by the home-owners policy,and (b) if you collect on it, your premiums will go up enough to cancel the benefit. It would be worthwhile if you were a pro with many thousands of dollars of equipment, but even a modern DSLR isn't worth that much. His advice was just to swallow the cost, but of course do all possible to prevent the loss in the first place.
Sorry I mislead you. I did not cover the equipment under the home owners policy. Although I purchased my camera insurance thru my Home Owner Insurance Company, it is a separate policy!!! Not subject my home owners deductible and has nothing to do with my home owners policy. The camera equipment policy covers any loss of camera equipment and to damage which includes dropping it. MHO: I do believe the $24/yr is worth covering almost $2000 of camera equipment

Thus if I lose it, damage it by dropping, fall in the water or stolen I get full replacement value or repaired if possible for the $24. I sent them a list of the cameras, filters, lenses, tripod. remote releases, red dot, adapters, rings so that every thing covered and not only the cameras.

I agree with you that the coverage of camera equipment 'under' a home owners policy is close to useless. That is why I bought a separate policy and NOT depend upon my home owners insurance policy.

As with any insurance policy I would rather not have to use the insurance.

Thanks

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:12 PM   #13

Please tell me who offers this! I'd like to check it out too.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:25 PM   #14

jimjomac wrote:
Quote:
Please tell me who offers this! I'd like to check it out too.
jimjomac:

I bought the policy from USAA. 1 800 531 8111 USAA.com

Also check with your own Home Owners Insurance company and your auto's. They should have personal propertyfloater policies too. You will get a better price if you carry other insurance with the company.

I was looking for a policy the covered breakage including dropping and found that USAA had such insurance. All the other coverage from camera stores did not include dropping or theft or coverage for the accessories, extra lenses [6]especially. I just thought that I wanted a lot more coverage for a reasonable cost! Does not cover normal wear and tear of the equipment. If a camera stops working I do not think that is wear and tear. Cosmetic wear would not be covered. My old SLR does show cosmetic wear. BTW new purchases are covered if declared and pay any additional premium. Grows with your new equipment. Also!! the policy pays repacement cost and does not deduct for depreciation. I tried not to leave anything out.

Panasonic labor warranty is for 90 days. "If your product does not work properly because of a defect in materials or workmanship" is quite a limit on their responsibility for the first 90 days!Parts for one year! I cannot drop it?!!!

And as I said before the camera is expendable in a mugging and insurance gives me peace of mind if not pocketbook...............................

Stan
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:46 AM   #15

Thanks, but I'm not active duty military. DOD civilian doesn't count with USAA. I'll have to shop around.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:13 PM   #16

Sorry about that

Stan
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:11 PM   #17

.357 magnum

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:34 PM   #18

Here`s what I use to protect my camera.
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:20 AM   #19

John H., yours is just a pet.

I use Him to frighten off robbers! Beware, here he was only yawning...!
Attached Images

Pinchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:49 AM   #20

And... he doesn't take prisoners!
Attached Images

Pinchas is offline   Reply With Quote