Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:55 AM   #21

And he's fond of rawhuman flesh...
Attached Images

Pinchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:20 PM   #22

Perhaps a Black Belt??? (And the skills that made you get it of course...)

MPW Peter
wrote:
Quote:
(...) if there's any kind of accessory to secure my camera from theft.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:40 PM   #23

Many years ago stoppedin Southern France [from cruise ship] for some site seeing and photo ops. Heard about the gypsys and how they try to rob the tourists. Walking along with my wife a group of 2 gypsy women and several children approched in a menacing way. Realizing I might be fair game I started yelling & cursing in Italian. That did it. They must have thought I was nuts. My the way I was carrying the old style video camera that was plugged into a vcr recorder plus my SLR and bag. Needless to say we steered away from similar groups of people. What I had heard is that the children will dance around you waving newspapers in your face and the women will pick you clean before you are aware of what is happening.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:01 PM   #24

I just called my home insurance agent (State Farm) regarding the coverage on a digital camera with a price tag of around a thousand dollars. I also mentioned the fact that I'm a college student living on campus and I'd be away from my house for extended periods of time.

I discovered that you can purchase an additional plan (in my case, $30/year) for coverage of specific electronics such as a digital camera. The great thing (not sure if this is universal - probably not) is there is no deductable. And since it is a separate plan, it covers the camera wherever I go with it and it prevents against damage as well as theft.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:11 AM   #25

In the UK the law is on the side of the felon. You must only use reasonable force to protect yourself. You cannot shoot him ,stab him, or bang him over the head with your 10D. If he is running away from you, you cannot harm him, he is no threat.At home you cannot put up any device that may harm him. If you put up razor wire you must also put up a warning sign. there was one case where an old man was repeatedly burgled by a couple of young felons. One night he heard them and came down the stairs too confront them they started too escape and he killed one with his shotgun. He went to prison for that. If you are threatened by a felon with a knife, give him your camera. Your life is more important. When you think that in Russia before the collapse of communism it was perfectly safe too be out at night. But now crime is rife. along with drugs. Makes you think doesn`t it.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:03 AM   #26

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
I just called my home insurance agent (State Farm) regarding the coverage on a digital camera with a price tag of around a thousand dollars. I also mentioned the fact that I'm a college student living on campus and I'd be away from my house for extended periods of time.

I discovered that you can purchase an additional plan (in my case, $30/year) for coverage of specific electronics such as a digital camera. The great thing (not sure if this is universal - probably not) is there is no deductible. And since it is a separate plan, it covers the camera wherever I go with it and it prevents against damage as well as theft.
Quote:
My company USAA with their Personal Property Floater plancovers $1200 for $24/yr includes coverage for drops, lost, stolen with no deductible too. Just sent them a list and a picture of all the stuff.

StanStan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:17 PM   #27

$1200 wouldn't even replace my camera body, let alone my lenses and accessories!!
Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 11:50 PM   #28

I have my camera equipment insured for $6000, but it cost me more than $24 a year. I pay $20 per month, but it is the best $20 I spend each month.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:24 PM   #29

I read that u wnat antitheft for your camera! I do not know hat type of camera u r using, but have u given any thought to a Notebook PC Security Lock? This may be the solution u r luking 4. Hope it helps.
MacCreadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:37 PM   #30

My laptop cable lock has a T shaped bar that locks into a slot in my laptop computer. I don't see one of these slots in my Nikon D70s or any of my lenses so I don't think a Notebook PC Security Lock will help here. In addition the cable lock makes a slip noose to attach through furniture. Not sure how this would attach to my body but I wouldn't want it around my neck!

I usually carry a monopod which could be used as a cudgel in an emergency!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote