Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:33 PM   #31

When I was in Spain and in Italy I saw several people get their purses snatched. In both cases the guys who did this ran up from behind and continued in an all out sprint after snatching the purse. Within only a several seconds the girls had their purses snatched and the thieves were no where within distance by the time they got over the initial shock of what happened.

I've noticed that women (especially in fancy shoes -not good for running) and people w/ lot's of stuff in their arms/hands and/or kids w/ them are serious targets.

I had a lens stolen from me in Egypt, -sucked, I was pretty pissed, it was a 300mm zoom lens. I had it at my side while sitting in a public square. I had taken it off to switch to a non zoom lens. I didn't even see the person take it, It was there and the next second it was gone.

My two favorite solutions on this thread:

1) insurance

2) cable/strap that is connected to camera body and your personal body. -Maybe something that could latch to your belt and camera strap?

3) travel w/ less equipment, -just one camera and one lens attached.

Good luck on your trip,
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:46 PM   #32

NEW CAMERA SECURITY BAGS AND STRAPS TO PROTECT YOUR GEAR!

Protecting camera gear is very important - especially when you consider the value of the gear, with not even taking into considering the value of the photographs.

Specific camera security bags and straps are now made to help protect these valuable items. For instance, you can now purchase a daypack or a duffel bag that has built in security features such as a stainless steel, flexible mesh woven between the inside and outside layers of the bag - this protects the bag from being slashed and the items removed. The bags also feature a built in 4 foot long steel cable, sort of like a laptop security cable that lets you then lock the bag to a chair, inside your car trunk, or other secure location. These bags provide pretty decent security - no other bags are made that provide this level of security in a mobile setting..at least is a mobile bag. These bags come in various sizes depending on the amount of gear you are carrying. Typical usage of these security bags would be to lock your gear in your trunk - if for some reason you had too...which we all no we should not. In your hotel room - they don;t make in-room safes big enoughto hold all of your camera gear - at home, or on a shoot.

They also have camera security straps - these are camera security straps that look just like regular camera straps, but they have a stainless steel cables woven into them so they can't be easily slashed from the rear. They even have camera straps that have a built in locks that allow you to lock your camera to a secure location - These straps are made for minor security usage. You can see these camera security bags and straps at http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34&osCsid=1e14c5f65d3c868269f2 c87bfaaec71f

Hope this helps.......
4300pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:44 PM   #33

IF THEY ARE GOING TO STEAL IT FROM YOU .YOU MAY AS WELL SPLIT THEIR HEAD OPEN WITH IT...........3 LBS SWINGING ON THE END OF A 2 FT STRAP MOVES PRETTY FAST...
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote