Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:58 PM   #1

I'll be travelling to Peru next year and I wonder if there's any kind of accessory to secure my camera from theft. I do pay extra attention to my belongings on a trip and keep an eye out for troublesome areas, like avoiding large crowds.

When walking around I always keep my gear close to me, but this doesn't really protect it from being taken away in cases like a drive-by robbery, where the camera is tken out of my hands or something.

Please let me know!
MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:00 PM   #2

the best anti-theft technogoly known to man is:

are you ready?

THE STRAP !

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:41 AM   #3

Hi Bernabeu!

Great helpfull post!, for beginners.... Hope you can provide more of these great tips in the future, it just might help someone, someday :lol:

My question goes somewhat further than just using the famous strap. This surely will dothe trick on top of the Emire state in New York, but when it comes to widespread serious violent crimes (what Peru is getting increasingly famous for :sad:...) The strap is not secure enough. I'm looking for things like the special chains that exist for laptops

http://www.wesecure.com/cgi-bin/miva...egory_Code=LSK

Thanks again for sharing your tip!

Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:16 AM   #4

"if it comes to widespread serious violent crimes....."

the only attachment point on a camera that i know would be the tripod socket

if it is metal (and sturdy) a 1/4-20 size eye bolt could be attached with a sturdy nylon cord clipped to your belt

HOWEVER, in a drive by snatch, either yourself or the camera could be SERIOUSLY hurt

an aluminum camera 'suitcase' could be tethered to a handy pole..........

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:25 AM   #5

That's more like it! :-)

It's a true thing that you can get hurt seriously when someone tries to take away your belongings...

Therefore, the things I'm looking for are ment to be preventing rather than stopping theft.

If it looks like it's going to take me 5 minutes to hand over the goodies, It's less likely that I'm being robbed in the middle of a street. Stealing my camera would turn from "hit and run" to

"Hit...wait...wait..some more waiting...getting noticed by others...wait..then run!"

Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:33 PM   #6

Perhaps having a chat with a self-defense/security consultant may be of some use. There are several reputable companies here that provide courses and train journalists etc. before going into such regions. Perhaps one or two may be happy to offer some free advice.

A back up camera and good insurance may help too. Good luck anyway and I hope no one tries to take your camera.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:39 PM   #7

I presume you will have a backpack when you travel.

Rub some Netherlands dirt on it.

Do not buy a bright colored backpack.

But a neutral (brown, green, etc) backpack.

In other words, make yourself look poor.

Do not play with cam on public transportation.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:58 AM   #8

Not sure you'd 'really' want to do this.. but a friend of mine is an electrician.. he spray paints all his expensive testing equiptment bright pink.. no one would WANT to steal it.. if they did.. tracking it down wouldn't be hard.. LOL
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:34 AM   #9

Wegot ripped off in the subway in Mexico City a year ago. The tactic they used was to crush us into a tiny space so we couldn't move or feel what they were doing. They got my film camera off the harness I use, my swiss army knife in my pocket, and my wife's wallet out of the top of her camera bag (not her camera). We presented ourselves asprime targets and they took advantage. A very disturbing lesson.

Last Fall, we went to Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. Knowing that these two places have a much lower crime rate, and that we wouldn't be using the metro, we still took much better precautions. I bought 1/16" stainless steel stranded wire and swedge sleeves, and attached that to three points: the two strap attachment points and the tripod socket. For the latter, I took a 1/4" socket head machine screw (allen-wrench drive), and lathe turned the head to a taper. If no lathe, just put it in a drill and file it. This would make it hard to grip with pliers. The wire then had a loop which fit under the head, and I bottomed out the screw in the socket so the wire could rotate freely. The wire then went around my waist with a small padlock.

That wire may sound easy to cut - ever try? Even with good wire cutters, all you can do is chew away at it for about five minutes. The easy way to cut it is with a good cold chisel and anvil. I'm sure every thief worth his salt carries an anvil in his pocket!

The strap hooks on my new camera (7D) are soft metal, so I couldn't rely on them. But I felt the redundancy would make it very hard to get the camera. I also kept trying to conceal the camera by folding a floppy hat over it. It was a pain in the posterior to operate with all this wire, but I was determined to bring that camera back home with me! As for danger, I hoped that being around my waist would simply make it too hard, and a thief would pass me up. I wouldn't want it around my neck, for sure!

As we traveled around, I did see people noticing the camera, which made me very uncomfortable, but nothing happened. I would never ride the metro again with anything valuable. Taxis aren't all that expensive, and much more convenient!

I recommend the stranded ss wire, and avoid crowded places at all costs! Use a small P&S where there's any danger.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:39 AM   #10

I know your pain. What would you do if you were surrounded by about 20+ young thieves.

I have insured my camera equipment against theft and dropping for $24 per year [edited Delete: on my home owners policy] now: i should have said fromthe company i have home owners insurance.

I keep my memory cards in a safe place when I travel. Camera can be replaced but not the pictures. I have a few smaller cards and spread them around. I do not keep the cards with the camera. I do not keep much money and credit cards in wallet either. Just a bunch of $1 bills and useless credit cards as a decoy..

If i was mugged I would put down the camera and almost empty wallet and run!

My life is more importantthan my camera equipment.

Would buy a new camera and have it reimbursed by "Edited Delee home owners insurance policy " and replace with 'personal equipment floater policy:.

Edit I made a mistake in saying the camera plus acessories were covered by my homeowners policy.. Thay ARE covered by a personal property floater policy.

See my next post below! Sorry for that

Stan

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote