Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:53 PM   #1

Default Tripod question

I`m buying tripod for my camera and I`m ansking if I have to be carefull about anythink when selecting.. How much money does the middle class costs?
clubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 4:23 AM   #2

IMO, there are two major things that I would look for:
  1. Set the tripod up in the shop (assuming you are not buying over the net) and then just place your hand on the top and give it a wobble. If there is a lot of play, which would often be a result of weak legs, don't bother with it.
  2. Try and get hold of one with a spirit level built into it. It you're taking pano shots this is pretty much vital, and I find it very useful for normal photos too.
I don't really know about prices. I only payed 15 for mine (from an ASDA/Wallmart here in the UK) but that is unusually cheap for one with a spirit level. I couldn't afford a better one at the time though and it's not quite a solid as I'd like.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:10 AM   #3

under misc forums check out the tripod amd head forum

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=73

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2203
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 4:43 PM   #4

If you're buying the sort with a clip on detachable plate and 90deg tilt head for portrait, some hinge right or left with respect to the pan handle, so make sure that when it's all fitted to your cam it hinges the best way to reach the controls and nothing underneath obstructs.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:04 AM   #5

aside from all the above advice given by everyone, you may also want to consider the ease of extending the tripod legs.

some work on the principle of turning a ring to loosen the leg and pulling out with the other hand. these tend to be on cheaper tripods and not very user friendly, cumbersome, and awkward.

the best are the friction clip type that you flip open with your thumb and the leg automatically drops out by itself.

also, one with a center leg bracing web that locks in place to keep it steady.

as for those tripods with a rack and pinion center post....they're slow, useless, and expensive. just a simple screw lock friction center post is quickest.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 9:50 AM   #6

I just went through this and bought the Bogen-Manfrotto 3021P Pro legs and a Bogen Ball Head.

It's probably overkill at around $250 for the tripod and head, but it sure makes it easy to do a variety of things my cheap plastic head tripod just couldn't cut.

The downside: weight. This tripod weighs 5.3 pounds. I think my other trippod weighed about 1 pound. May not seem like much, but take it on a hike and you'll feel it. Now, I use the tripod for most of my shooting and what I bought it for: panoramas. It's great for that. But when I'm off on the trails, I just take a 5oz REI mini-tripod and make do with that!

http://www.adorama.com has a pretty good selection of tripods. There are plenty of them that are stable for less money than the $140 I paid for the 3021 Pro. But it has the capability of doing some nice things like shooting straight down by removing the center column and refitting that as a horizontal lateral arm. Great for photographing documents, table layouts etc.

You certainly don't need to have a ball head and there are plenty of pan and tilt models available in "sets" with the tripods for $75-$150.

Hope that helps!
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 10:20 AM   #7

my opinion. the 3021pro is a great tripod. but depending on your camera size and weight it was as you said might be overkill. i own one (with a arca-swiss B1 ball head) and use it primarily for my larger 35mm and Dslr setups.

the 3001pro (scaled down in size from the 3021pro) probably would have saved you a pound+ and a bit more compact not to mention the $.

ball vs pan/tilt. no competition there. the proper designed ball wins hands down everytime in more challenging situations. matched with that tripod and the proper use (imagination) you can manouver a camera into about any position necessary to get the shot.

there is only 1 better tripod in the manouver catagory- the gitzo explorer 2228. it $500+ w/o head it may not be your cup of tea. i have this one also with a acratech ultimate ball head
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:27 AM   #8

Default HP Photosmart 812 tripod

guys can u tell me what kind of tripod is suitable for my HP 812 since i am far away from professionalism I don't need professional one but some middle class that is reliable,stable and maybe compact.If u could tell me a brand and a price range maybe
mirkoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 8:18 AM   #9

product and price are relative to quality. look at slik, velbon, and bogen/manfrotto. go to a decent shop and look them over. i like to set the legs up all the way and put my hands over the casting where all 3 legs are connected and rotationally twist it and see how much rotational deflection there is. this shows the leg connection and flex factor (otherwise known as the spaghetti factor) this will vary widely with price. less is better the of course you will note the price will be higher. this has been said many times do not treat your tripod as a secondary purchase the right one will serve you well. a good set of legs with a reasonable head (yes they are seperate on the better ones. choice is everything) will set you back from $90-$130. i myself like bogen/manfrotto due to repair and parts availability and overall product quality along with relative price point.

i will make one suggestion the mafrotto 3001pro. an extremely versatile set of legs in its class. it will also grow with you. needs a head. i suggest a ball type.

www.bogenphoto.com
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:57 PM   #10

Last spring I purchased a Bogen 3021BPRO. It's a good comprimise between versatility heaght-wise and weight (keep in mind that heavier tripods are generally sturdier). I mounted a Bogen 3437 3D Magnesium Head to it. The head is very light weight and compact and is easy to use with large, but not protruding, knobs. I only wish I had considered screw knobs instead of flip levers for the leg locks. The flip levers will "bite"; I drew blood the first time I operated them in the store, never since. The levers do lock positively but they are loud, a concern for wildlife photographers.

Buy the absolute best you can now, stretch your budget if you have to. It'll save you the expense and hassle of going thru 2 or 3 lesser tripods on the way to the one that serves you right for years to come. I had a cheap Slik tripod. The only thing it has over the Bogen is it's far lesser weight when it's slung over my shoulder on day hikes. It did, however, teach me what I DON"T want in a tripod.
ericn is offline   Reply With Quote