Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Some of the stores sell a pack of LCD protectors as part of an accessory package. My new Lumix Z5 has its LCD all nicely exposed (unlike my old Canon A95), so I'd like to know whether those LCD protectors really work and are worthwhile, or do they cause problems,

TIA for your comments!

Jerry
jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:37 AM   #2

The same problem exists with my FZ20. However, I wentfor the complete solution: LCD popup screen shade with protector, for my FZ20. For details see the thread "Popup LCD Shades Any Good?" in the Misc Accessories forum.

Before I bought the popup shade pictured in the thread (it's still on its way from Hong Kong), I also checked the regular film protectors, because the vulnerability problem is veryserious withthe FZ series. My conclusion was that using just protective film is only a half-measure. Moreover, I read stories about film peeling off and/or leaving residue.

Therefore, my humble advice is: Go for a popup shade. In the US you have Delkin and Hoodman, and outside the US the Jenis brand is sold.

Finally, I very much like my FZ20, and love the 12x zoom. I'm sure you'll enjoy your FZ5 too. But, Panasonicabysmally goofed with their design of the protruding LCD screen on the FZ series camera's. I wonder if they are aware of this design flaw, and if they intend to correct it on future FZ models.
Pinchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:20 AM   #3

Do you have any links that I can look at the Jenis with?

It seems as tho the Hoodman products are bulky in comparison with the Delkin popup. Does Hoodman also have a popup? I couldnt find it on their website. The only popup LCD protectors appear to be for Canon Nikon and Fuji.

Jerry
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:25 AM   #4

Oops. I went to that thread and saw the link to the Ebay site.

When it arrives, can you let me know how your screen works? I'm still debating.......

Jerry
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:54 AM   #5

With great pleasure, as soon as it arrives.

Hoodman: That's what I noticed too. theirs has a bellow, far too bulky.
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6

The Jenis popup LCD screen shade has arrived,is installed, and has been tested by me.

See my product review at: Misc Accessories > Jenis popup LCD shade.