Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1

I read with interest the posts in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=67

I have a D50 2 lens kit, hopefully soon to have 50mm prime, flash and alternate battery and extra SD card.

I have no plans to travel by air but a short day road trip is not out of the question. Mostly, I want to protect my gear from what has turned out to be daily carrying. From the house to the car, from the car into the office, out at lunch for a shot, back in the office, back out at closing, a stop for a shot.....

I am hard as heck on stuff and read with interest Terry's post about the Pelican. My question is whether the 1400 Pelican he mentions (or another in that price range $55-85) can have a shoulder strap put on it and would hold my equipment. I just can't carry things with handles and want to sling my purse and my camera stuff on/over the shoulder.

Alternatively, I'm looking at the Lowepro trekkers (from mini to classic though classic is way overkill).

Lastly, I'm looking at the Domke F-2 original (overkill unless I carry the film slr)or the F-6 little bit smaller.

The local camera store has a Delsey Pro (4 I think) and though I think the padding is excellent, I just don't like the darn thing.

I have a Canon backpack for my old AE-1 and other body and 7 or so lenses, but I know I won't carry two cases. But I do know the backpack design appeals to me.

Thoughts to help me protect what is likely to be my only dSLR for quite a while (not just $$ consideration, but I don't need more camera until I can take a decent pic with this one :??

Thanks,

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2

The mini trecker is very nice, reasonably priced and can be customized to carry different sized items. I can carry a body, 4 lenses, several filters, flash cards, cleaning kit, sb-600 flash, and an extra battery with room to spare in the mini.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:18 AM   #3

Thanks1 I do love grabbing a backpack and putting it over my shoulder. I guess I'm just more worried about the digital not taking the beating the old film equipment used to....'more sensitive'?? One of the reasons the Pelican or even Delsey appealed to me except I guess the form factor is less appealing. But I know you're carrying similar digitalso it must be safe.

Thanks,

M
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:57 AM   #4

I believe that digital cameras are much more fragile and more likely to be affected by moisture. I got a pelican case and love it. Make sure you pretty much have all the large pieces of your outfit in hand and figure out how to arrange them before you buy a case. The "pic and pluck" foam block comes out in one piece so you can even try the general fit in the store.

I could put a strap on it, but instead a got a very good day pack that it fits into along with water bottle and rain gear.

I don't have to worry about my camera, even wading across streams.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

Although I went with an even smaller Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, I just wanted something for basic safety and my limited gear right now. Plus lugging into the office and out etc. I wanted something smallish. I just needed an inexpensive solution over my jury-rigged situation right now.

Therefore, for when I look into a more substantial solution do you mind telling me the Pelican model and daypack model that went together so I can start from there?

Thanks, M
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6

My outfit would be totally different from yours. I have a Canon S1 IS with lens adaptor attached, a clip on macro lens, 4 battery charger, 4 extra batteries, extra media card, manual and lens cleaning supplies in a # 1200 pelican. There is probably room for another filter or two. In will fit in any day pack.

You would need a larger case for sure, but I am certain it will still fit in a backpack. A place like REI carries a variety of sizes of pelican cases. The pick and pluck foam slides out whole so you can experiment(lay out your items in the box) if you take your outfit to the store. They would have day packs as well so you could test fit the whole outfit.

If you are rough on your outfit this will protect your camera from bumps and weather.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:55 AM   #7

Thanks sedges! My issue may be not finding a local store that carries Pelican. But I do know Terry mentioned a model 1400 in the originally referenced post for a gear combo that might be similar to mine.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can make the hard case investment with daypack. The backpack will arrive on Monday.

Thanks for your help.

M
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:55 AM   #8

Bag arrived from B&H. Much happiness with the transaction and the bag (though the bag is a little empty with only 2 lenses atm.

Smooth zippers, well designed, strap for small tripod on bottom. My baby is safe now and I will feel like it is protected when I next get to take it for a ride. (Can't take it to work these next few weeks as not getting any lunch outtings to shoot on.)

Will look into the hard case and daypack asap.

Thanks,

M