Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

I think I'd like to get one of these, but I know these filters range in their level of diffusion. 1/2, 1, 2, 3? I'm unsure what to do. I don't have any local vendors that carry this. I'm for certain an amateur and will use this for photographing my 2 boys (who are toddlers). I guess I need to see a comparison chart or something like that. TIA for any help you can give me!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:19 AM   #2

The higher the number the stronger the effect. Higher numbers will give an almost foglike look to the image. Be aware that most editing software programs have a diffusion filter that can be applied that allows you to adjust the amount of softening. I think it's better to apply this effect in post than to use a filter. This way you can have a "clean version" of the image to use if you don't like the diffusion effect. Photoshop and other image editors have really rendered filters nearly useless for digital photography. The only filter whose effect cannot be easly duplicated is the polarizing filter. When I used this filter for film, I could never find one that worked well...the effects were either too strong or not strong enough.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

I understand that the diffusion becomes greater with increasing numbers--just wanted to see an actual example. I called Tiffin and they told me my best best would be #3 for photographing babies & young children. My concern is that I only have photoshop elements and not a lot of time on my hands to spend in post production. Can you do this is PS Elements? Thanks for your response!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:59 AM   #4

Which version of elements do you have?? I believe diffusion isavailable as one of the "stylize" filters in PS elements.

Another trick to achieve diffusion, is to stretch a fine mesh stocking over the front of the lens.

Here is a link that may help you see some of the differences between strengths of diffusion filters. http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...diffusion.html

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote