Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #1

Hi, I purchased a used Hoya Polarizing filter, and it works well on my Panasonic Fz5, but I am looking to buy a Nikon D50, and would like to be able to carry over this filter. The problem is i cant tell if its a circular or a linear polarizer. Along the edge it says HOYA PL 55 JAPAN. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2

I have a Hoya circular polariser and it is marked HOYA PL CIR 55.

We both have a filter with a diameter of 55 mm. To fit on the Nikon 5D you may need a step-up adapter if the lens thread on the D50 is more than 55mm. If D50 is wider than 55mm you can't use it without it cutting out some of the outer image edges (vignetting).

I'm only guessing but you may have a linear polariser.
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:58 AM   #3

Some time ago I had the same question with a polarizer I was given. I found an web article with pictures (sorry can't find it) that showed how to tell using a mirror. Basically you hold the filter between yourself and the mirror. If you can see thru it's reflection regardless of which end of the filter is facing you then you have a circular polarizer. If it's reflection looksopaque one direction it is linear.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can explain this better.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:23 PM   #4

Jim1957 wrote:
Quote:
Basically you hold the filter between yourself and the mirror. If you can see thru it's reflection regardless of which end of the filter is facing you then you have a circular polarizer. If it's reflection looksopaque one direction it is linear.
You've gotten it backwards. I just tried it with my own (circular) polarizer. If you hold up the circular polarizer with the side that normally faces the lens toward the mirror, its reflection in the mirror will be opaque black. If you hold the circular polarizer up to the mirror with the side toward the mirror that normally faces the subject, you will be able to see through the polarizer's reflection in the mirror. You will be able to see through a linear polarizer's reflection regardless of which way it is held up to the mirror.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote