Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:23 PM   #1

I'm going to be purchasing a Canon Rebel XT with kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6).

Also on my buy list is the Canon Rebel XT starter kit found here.

The starter kit includes a 58mm UV haze filter - I was wondering if this will fit the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the Rebel XT?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:54 AM   #2
rey

I don't know about the kit you pointed to. I don't think it's worth it. Getting a bag should be more of a personal choice, base on what you're gonna use the camera for. If it came with a polarizer, I'd get it, but the UV filter is basically useless. Anyways, just my opinion.

You can use B&H or Adorama to checkout lens' filter size and other specs. Maybe buy it from them. According to them:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

the kit lens does use a 58mm filter. Another thing to consider is what lens sizes you will buy in the future. Chances are it'll have a bigger ring size than the kit lens.

In that case, you may consider getting a step-up ring for the kit lens to step it up to a standard Canon filter size, I think it's 77mm, but I'm not sure. You can then buy just one filter (ie 77mm) for all your lens to share, and get step-up rings for the others to step them up to 77mm.

I think in the long run it'll save you from buying the same filter of different sizes for each lens. That's what I'm gonna do when I start buying filters...

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:11 AM   #3

I'm looking for an all-around basic lens and the kit lens offers just that (and for a mere $63 over the body-only price of the Rebel XT). I'm not looking for a filter to improve the picture but rather just protect the lens.

As I become more experienced and decide what exactly I want to shoot, I'll buy new lenses/filters.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4

Justin...i think your logic is sound regarding getting different lens or lenses as your interest and abilities increase after you're more familiar with the camera...and each lens you'll pick up will require different size filters accordingly...i'm not sure where the other poster was going with the step-up, step-down ring thing, you'll just pick up the size filter for the lens you've choosen at the time...now that you know the kit lens is 58mm, all the filters you buy for it (if you decide on a polarizer or ND) will be 58mm...

BTW, that lens will serve the purpose until your experience grows...

have fun with it!...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:28 AM   #5
rey

I guess I didn't explain my thoughts clearly.

What I was trying to say was instead of buying different sizes of filters for your lenses, you would buy one standard size (ie 77mm) and then use step up rings to step up all your lenses to 77mm.

So say you have a 52mm, a 62mm and a 77mm lens instead of buying three ND filters and three polarizers, you just buy one of each. With money saved, you can actually buy the good stuff instead of the cheapo ones, and you even save yourself the trouble of carrying six lenses.

I haven't really done this, since I haven't bought any filters, but it's a pro advice I read somewhere, and I thought it makes sense.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:26 AM   #6

Rey...since you've explained it that way, i can see what you're trying to get across...i just wouldn't do it though...i'm a 'if ya wanna play, you got pay kinda guy'...the main thing to me is each lens has it's own UV filter for protection and then as time goes by i add a filter here or there as i need it for my other lenses...of course some lens aren't going all the same filters as other lenses because the application will not be the same...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote