Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1

Hi all,

I have a Matrox Parhelia and two Dell 24" 2405FPWs. I also have the original Spyder Pro (not the Spyder 2). I've been told in the past that I can't callibrate both monitors attached to a dual head video card under WinXP becase of a bug in the Display applet.

Now that Microsoft has released their MS Color Control Panel applet, is it posible to callibrate both monitors? Right now, I use OptiCal to set the ICC profile. I am trying to use the MS Color CP applet and can assign the two ICC profiles but I don't see any affect on the color when I do so. I only see the color affected when I use OptiCal but optical seems to only use one ICC profile.

I guess I don't know how to activate the ICC profile under WinXP. Or am I confusing the purpose of the MS Color CP applet? I thought it was to assign already created ICC profiles to multiple devices such as two monitors. I created an ICC profile for each monitor.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, I am running WinXP Pro SP2.

Thanks,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:29 AM   #2

Last night, I finally managed to calibrate both my LCD monitors (Dell 2405FPW via DVI-D) under WinXP. I have a Parhelia 128 AGP 4x video card. Using the new MS Color Control Panel applet did the trick. I did not have to upgrade to a Spyder 2. My older Spyder Pro worked just fine.

1) Download Microsoft's Color Control Panel applet:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

2) Now use OptiCal to calibrate monitor 1. I created profiles for Native, 6500K, and 9300K. I appended a 1 to the profile names. At this point, ignore what monitor 2 looks like.

3) Now use OptiCal to calibrate monitor 2. I crated the same profiles as above but appended 2 to the profile name. This time, ignore what monitor 1 looks like.

4) Now disable Optical's calibrated mode.

5) Use the MS Color CP applet and assign the profiles to the appropriate monitor.

6) The pick a pair to set as the default. Switch to monitor one in the MS color app and set the default profile for the monitor 1. In my case I picked the 6500K profile.

7) Do the same for the monitor 2.

8 ) Click [Apply] or any [Yes] prompts.

9) Create a Start -> Programs -> Startup shortcut that points to:

"C: rogram FilesPro Imaging PowertoysMicrosoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XPWinColor.exe" /L

[Note: remove space after the "C:"]

10) Remove "OptiCal startup" from the startup menu or move it to a safe place like the ColorVision menu

The two monitors are not quite identical in color but very, very close. I'll play with this some more at a later date. I hope this helps someone.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:56 AM   #3
rey

Thanks for the post. I'll keep that in mind when I finally convince myself to spend money to calibrate my two screens. It really sucks that two identical Dells would produce such different colors under the same settings. I've been using dual monitors for years but could never convince myself to spend the money for a Spyder. I'll keep your advice in mind when I finally spend money on it.

Thanks.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:06 AM   #4

I got my two Dells about 3 months aprat. Not only do the look different, they also have slightly different firmware. The color setings are different. Instead of "Normal preset (sRGB) of my older one, the newer one has a PC preset and a Mac Preset. Also the RGB settings for the Blue Preset and Red Preset are different. Why would someone use these blue and red presets anyway?

Thanks,
Steven
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

You might email Colorvision about this. i emailed them on two monitors and my profile chooser locking up and other weirdness on starting. They answered quickly. They told me Mac can calibrate two different monitors but you cant with windows. I have a Viewsonic and an old Mag on mine. To stop the profile chooser from locking up and it telling me it cant find the second monitor profile on loading, I entered the same viewsonic profile for the Mag as I have for the main Viewsonic monitor. Then I just adjusted the second Mag to match the main one as best I could. It came quite close and I dont use the second for any editing anyway.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6

ColorVision is wrong. I've emailed them a couple months ago about this and told them so. It can *now* be done with the right video card.

In order to profile two monitors under XP, the video card must have two LUTs (color lookup tables), one for each connector. Examle, the Matrox G-series dualhead cards have only one LUT. The Matrox P-series and Parhelia cards have two LUTs. If your video card has two LUTs, then the MS Color Control Panel applet will allow you to assign a separate profile to each LUT/video connector.

Enjoy life!
Steven