Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:42 PM   #1

I'm finallyready to purchase mycamera system, nowI'm looking around for a "do everything" case. Here is a list of the (initial)equipmentI'll bepurchasing...I want a case that will accomodate everything, with a little room to grow...

Canon EOS 20D with 17-85mm Lens
Canon EF 50/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 70-200/4L USM Lens
Canon BGE2 Battery Grip
SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card
Slik Pro 340DX Titanium Tripod

Ireally likethe waterproof feature of the"Lowepro DryZone 200", but I dont know if its overkill for what I'll be doing (mostly vacations and kids sporting events), so I was thinking the "Lowepro Mini Trekker AW" would suffice.

Unfortunately, I've never used anything other than point-and-shoot cameras before now...so I have no idea what to look for in a case.The three things that are most important to me are (in the following order)...

1) Offer maximum protection formy investment

2) Bepractical/comfortable enough to carry around everywhere

3)Offer easy access to the equipment.

I dont give a rat'spatootie how ugly the thing is as long as its functional andprotects my camera!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2

I can give a big thumbs up for the "Lowepro Mini Trekker AW". I have very close to the same equipment as you have and have enjoyed using it for the last two years.
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3
rey

Just a general suggestion, but I'd go with something where you don't have to put it down to get your camera, either a top loading one or a sling-type you can wrap around to access your camera.

http://lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Ba...Weather_Cover/

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:53 AM   #4
E.T

Babyfixer wrote:
Quote:
Now that surely takes lot of space. :G

Quote:
I really like the waterproof feature of the "Lowepro DryZone 200", but I dont know if its overkill for what I'll be doing
Yeah, maximum safety, but then again bag being rain tight would be propably all what's needed by normal people... at least I don't need to have camera bag with me while swimming.
At least they made it floating... unlike one Olympus's underwater case for digicompact which sinks to bottom if left loose. (Great design, Oly!)

Quote:
I dont give a rat'sĀ*patootie how ugly the thing is as long as its functional andĀ*protects my camera!!
I agree, functionality over fashion!
While travelling worser look would be actually plus, because fine looking brand pack would be much more attractive for thieves.

rey wrote:
Quote:
Just a general suggestion, but I'd go with something where you don't have to put it down to get your camera, either a top loading one or a sling-type you can wrap around to access your camera.
Yeah, if fast access is crucial those would be best.
But if it's just something you would use to carry camera and equipment to place then difference wouldn't matter much.

Also check Tamrac's products.
http://www.tamrac.com

Actually non-backpacks would be much more inconvenient for carrying more equipment/weight, that's why I'm myself going to get backpack for when I need to carry all equipment.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:33 PM   #5

pclements wrote:
Quote:
I can give a big thumbs up for the "Lowepro Mini Trekker AW". I have very close to the same equipment as you have and have enjoyed using it for the last two years.

Good to know...thanks!!
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:00 PM   #6

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Babyfixer wrote:
Quote:
Now that surely takes lot of space. :G
LOL. OK, that was not meant to be a determining factor in your recommendation....I'm just lazy, and it was easier to cut-and-paste the email I sent out for price quotes than re-type all that!!

Speaking of price...I think I'm going to purchase from 17th Street Photo. They have an excellent rating from "resellerratings.com" and they beat B&H's price by almost $100.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

rey wrote:
Quote:

http://lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Ba...Weather_Cover/
I actualyconsidered the "Slingshot 200 AW"...but I wanted something that I could attach my tripod to.

Perhaps I need TWO bags??