Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old May 21, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1

would anyone here have a clue as to how to attach filters or any other attachment to the Sony "high grade" 1.7x telephoto (VCL-DH1758** ??????????
lonewolfmtnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 8:01 AM   #2

I don't believe you can. It is first an odd size and the thread pattern is odd. I used one with my DSC f717 abnd it is a very good optic. I have since swithced to a DSLR.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3

thanks - it would seem so!**OTOH, nothing is impossible.**I've considered one possible solution would be to have an adapter made up at a machine shop.* This could easily cost far more than the*lens itself*did.* A slip fitted sleeve could be made from a short section of 3" steel/aluminum pipe with a modified 72 to 77mm adapter ring tacked/soldered on front (with the 72mm threads ground off). This would attach with a knurled set screw similar to a slip on hood.* Obviously, I'd then need to also purchase 77mm filters - again adding to cost.**So, what would happen if I were to place a polarizing filter (or other) between the camera*lens and the teleconverter rear element? Strange stuff, I'll wager?**If this could work (but obviously change distance between*lens elements), would a filter ring/threads be strong enough to support the half pound*lens weight.I've read that most if not all filter rings these days are made of plastic (except Heliopan and certain B+W rings that still use brass).*I find it difficult to believe (accept) that Sony (or anyone) produced a so-called "High Grade" optic with ZERO provision for filter(s) - but they did.* I'll also wager that they replicated this stupidity on the new $400 telephoto converter for the R1.* IMO, this would be akin to Ford producing a vehicle that could only use 17.5" rims or run on 98% octane fuel (no such things).* Given all the 'bitching' about "Memory Stick"- at least they do work (are functional).**So, what about placing filter(s) between lens elements?*
lonewolfmtnz is offline   Reply With Quote