Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1

I just ordered the Pelican 1450 for my Pentax *ist DL.┬* I know that I can toss the case out the window, put a small explosive next to it, and drive it over with a car without damaging the case to bad, but will my camera actually be okay?┬* I ordered the case with the photo dividers, not the Pick n pluck.┬* What experience have you had with the case (and the condition of the camera in it).┬* Also, how much heat does the case keep out?┬* Will the camera in it be okay in a 90-100 degree car?┬* Thanks.........┬* ┬*Travis.
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:08 AM   #2
E.T

I think you can apply some general rules to this, as long as camera itself isn't hit physically and accelerations aren't too big camera should survive.

TravisG5 wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the Pelican 1450... I know that I can toss the case out the window, put a small explosive next to it...
You forgot one thing... even small shaped charge is capable to penetrating inches of steel.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

That sounds like a good general rule.┬* I actually just found some videos demonstrating the cases durability.┬* They put an Apple iBook in it (powered on) and shot it with a shot gun from about 30 feet away.┬* Yes the distance really takes away the power of the weapon but it was still interesting..... ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*About the explosive part, I was refering to this story......┬* ┬* ┬*"Extreme Combat Luggage┬*On October 6, 2004, my vehicle suffered an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack. I was sitting in the front passenger seat and my case was located on the floor between my feet. The explosion happened directly under my feet, ripping the entire engine compartment apart. If it wasn't for the 1150 case, I would not have been able to send you these pictures. Once again, thanks for a great product! Owen Rice, Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army Combat Engineer"

Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:56 PM   #4

I have a pelican 1450 and it's been a very good case.

I used the pick n' pluck to contour the lining to the shape of my camera and lenses.

As far as leaving it in a 100 degree car, I don't think it's a good idea.

Probably your trunk would be a cooler place.

As for dropping it out of a plane or testing it with explosives, I really haven't felt the need.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:12 PM   #5

"As for dropping it out of a plane or testing it with explosives, I really haven't felt the need. "... Sounds like a good idea.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:15 PM   #6

Would I buy another Pelican case to protect my camera investment? Absolutely.

Would I buy any other case to protect my camera investment? Probably not.

I guess that says it all !

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:35 PM   #7

Sorry, double post error.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:35 PM   #8

I agree.┬* I just got my case.┬* The first thing I did was put it in the bathtub to test the water proof aspect, I wanted to make sure I could trust it in the heavy rain.┬* I was suprised how hard I had to push down to get it under the water, so I decided to stand on it.┬* ┬*It worked, no water inside.┬* I love how configurable the inside photo dividers are. I have 2 SLRs inside, and room for a lens, batteries, film, and more.┬* Great case.┬* One day I will be very happy knowing that the 99 dollars was worth it, as it will probably save my cameras one day.┬*┬*