Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

We are going on a kayak trip though Yellowstone Lake, the Snake River, and Lake Jackson in the Grand Tetons. I have a backpacck, but it's not waterproof. I also have a dry bag that will hold my 20D with a lens attatched. I'll probably only take one other lens, cards, filters and cleaning gear. Tripod will also go with me.
I may buy a dry bag large enough to hold the second lens in it's hard case as well as the other stuff, but am looking for suggestions. Is ther anything else I should take. Is there a better way to store my gear (cheaply).
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:57 PM   #2

Pelican cases are amazing.* Waterproof, crushproof, drop proof (very durable).* They have a Pick 'N' Pluck foam system that lets you shape it to your stuff.* They also float depending on how much gear you have inside of them.**
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

I would also wrap your equipment in a nice little insurance policy. I mention this enough on here people probably think I sell insurance, but just a believer in thebetter safe than sorry theory
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4

I second the suggestion of the Pelican Case. They are second to none for the purpose you described. I have one and can literally jump up and down on it with no damage whatsoever.
Karsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:37 PM   #5

Thanx for the suggestions. I have wanted a Pelican case, but thought them too expensive. However, when I went to their web site, I found them to be very reasonable, so I ordered one. I did make sure it was ok for carry-on on the airlines.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 2:56 AM   #6

This is a helpful website http://www.cambags.com

Check out the dryzone rover , or the dryzone 100 & 200. Not cheap mind you.

J
johnw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
I would also wrap your equipment in a nice little insurance policy. I mention this enough on here people probably think I sell insurance, but just a believer in thebetter safe than sorry theory

This is excellent advice Caboose. I actually keep personal article policies on all my high dollar mobile items (cameras/laptops) and on my wife's jewelry. These policies cover damage, loss or theft.

These policies saved our butt when my wife severely damaged her engagement ring in a motor vehicle about 5 years ago. Replaced her 7K ring with no runaround.

I have mine through State Farm (I am sure there are multiple companies that offer them). Very inexpensive for protection on high dollar items.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:01 PM   #8

As for cases get a pelican they are the best waterproof cased hands down. As for keeping the gear dry when you lweave shore mont one lens onto the camera with youe largest memory card available. Keep it in a waterproof housing or a waterproof marine housing bag. bhphotovidepo has some waterproof bags/housing. When you get back to dry land then you can change lens, batteries and memory cards.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:15 PM   #9

I used an Otterbox for several years without any problems. The clear lid allowed me to check the contents without opening the lid...for example, to check if it was still keeping water out without taking the risk of actually opening it.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote