Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1

Hello guys,

I've only found one third-party focusing screen (DSLR) manufacturer. Katz Eye Optics (www.katzeyeoptics.com). Are there others? Which companies would you recommend?

Katz Eye Optics, manufactures replacement focusing screens for pretty much all the current DSLR cameras on the market. Not only that but they give you the option of 5 different grid or crop patterns to be etched onto the screens. From the "rule of thirds" grid to 4x6 crop, 5x7 crip and 8x10 crop. NICE!! I'd be looking at getting the "rule of thirds" grid pattern.

If there are other reputable companies making focusing screens hopefully they offer them with a "rule of thirds grid" as well.

Thanks!!

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:49 AM   #2
NHL

Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it?
It was just a consideration. Something I thought I'd look into. As I wanted to have the "rule of thirds" type of grid visible in the viewfinder. But really both Canon and Nikon have their AF points in position to help you imagine a grid. So am not totally sure i'd be changing the focusing screen. That and I haven't even decided on my DSLR. Canon 30D or Nikon D200? Then there's my "dream DSLR" the Canon 1D Mark II N. But this camera costs more than twice as much. Hmmm...

Oh and if I do end up changing the focusing screen I think I'd leave it to the "experts". Don't want to take a chance and accidently damage something in there. And cause me some grief...and I did see a "how to" online. So, while it's not brain surgery...I think it's still best to leave it to the pros.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:27 PM   #4
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Then there's my "dream DSLR" the Canon 1D Mark II N. But this camera costs more than twice as much. Hmmm...
Have you considered the older 1D MarkII without the N?

Basically it's exactly the same camera as the MarkIIN minus the larger viewing screen and the picture styles which most people don't really use if you shoot in RAW - The 1D MarkII used doesn't cost that much more than a D200...

-> You'll have a much more professional body with weather seals, much better AF performance and your favorite changeable viewing screens to boot (and the screens are only about $30 instead of $105)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote