Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:41 PM   #1

I am considering geting a blue ray burner for my desktop CPU to archive my older photo CDs and DVDs onto for long term storage (without having a major space issue). My question is in the regards to the 25GB models and 25GB discs. They say the discs are write-once or rewritable. Will the write once blueray discs allow me to write multi session type discs like I can do with a regular DVD now? Or do I really have to write everything in one pass.

Anyone using blue ray discs in order to save their digital photos to?

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:36 PM   #2

Wow...that's an expensive proposition (not as much as it used to be, but still is to me).

I would assume provided your software supports writing to Blu-ray under multisession mode (at a cost of extra MB for multi-session) that it should be able to. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable putting all my photos temporarily on a good rewritable media then once that's full, going to a normal +/-R media when I know the rewritable is full--especially with as expensive as anything Blu-ray will be and with how Sony will likely keep it that way.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Prices have dropped in half in the last year. But the real beaker for me is will it allow me to start a disc like I start a DVD and then add to the disc till the disc is full (i.e. multi section). Generally I have 6 to 7 discs going at once that I am adding to depending on subject and then when a disc is full I start enough disc with same subject.

I have been shooting so much material lately that the discs are starting to pile up and I though blue ray might be the way to go for the long haul to get the disc count under control. 5 DVDs would fit on one blue-ray disc.

I would migrate to DVD+R DL but my software doesn't support multi session writes and I have heard that the discs are not as stable in the long run as DVD-Rs are.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote