Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:04 AM   #1
Junior Member
saxtim's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2

I'm thinking quite seriously about purchasing a canon 300d camera. I'm only just getting into photography, but myfather has several lens that he doesn't use very often that I could borrow. Problem is that they are either Konica/Minolta or (20+ year old) screw in Pentax types. Does anyone make any sort of lens adapters that would allow me to use these lenses on a canon, or I'm i stuck with having to get new lenses? (I see that Konica/Minolta does not currently make a DSLR at the moment)


saxtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
ferny's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,866

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I don't think you're going to be able to find an adaptor. Each manufacturer builds their lenses and cameras in the way they deem best. So electronic and mechanical connections are different shapes, sizes and in different places. The hole that they fit into on the camera can be a different size to. Because of this it can be hard to make an adaptor and even if you can make one you may lose some features on the lens and camera. You can even lose infinity focus.
You may be able to make yourself one if you're handy with some tools. You'd need an old broken camera to cannibalise its lens mount and a broken Canon lens that fits your camera for its lens mount. Then somehow fix the two together. You'd still lose things like auto-focus. But with an old lens that wouldn't mater, right? :lol:

The Canon DSL's uses the same fitting as its film SLR's I think so there may be adaptors out there. I'd consider putting money on the table and say that there might in all probability possible be (:lol an adaptor that allows you to fit screw lenses onto the Canon camera. If it isn't in production now, then it would have been a few years ago when auto-focus came out, to allow people to use their old lenses. Keep an eye out on eBay for such a thing.

If you live in the UK you could try www.srbfilm.co.uk who make adaptors and such things. They're a good company. Here's a link to a page in there catalogue (which you can download) where there is a Canon adaptor. They can make things to order to.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
Chako's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 301

Yes, there are such things out there...but you have to keep in mind, that any benefits of doing this, is far out weighted by not having the electronics work. In other words, manual focus, manual metering, etc....

I think this is what your looking for.


Likewise, the famous M42 that you may come across is the Pentax screw mount. There is an adapter that you can buy that will allow you to attach a Pentax M42 to a Kmountcamera, but this won't help you for an EOS camera.


Be sure to read the FAQ and other info from the above link...interesting stuff.

Also be aware that the diaphragm coupling armon Pentax K mount lenses may be too long to properly fitontoyour EOS camera, regardless of the mount first mentioned. It mayget in the way of the mirror action.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:06 PM.