Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:42 AM   #1

Default Camera suggestions for a beginner

So I have been using a point and shoot camera for quite sometime now, but honestly, I am ready to switch to a DSLR. But wait ho! At first I thought, well.. Canon or Nikon. Then amazon showed me some pretty slick looking sony DSLRs. And I thought.. These cannot be DSLRs, they are so thin! Apparently they are mirrorless DSLRs which is the future. Then I read in a tech article that one isn't buying a camera, but investing in a certain brand!

Honestly just tell me what to buy. My budget is $500. https://omegle.onl/ vshare

Last edited by olekhabiter7; Sep 4, 2020 at 1:23 AM.
olekhabiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:25 AM   #2

$500 won't buy you much.

Yes, when you buy a camera, you're making a commitment to that product line. You'll end up with a collection of lenses and accessories that, when your camera dies, and it will, you'll need to replace it with a camera from the same brand so it will work with all the stuff you already have.

Different brands have different strengths. What do you generally spend your time photographing?

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:29 AM   #3

G'day mate

As TCav says '$500 will not get you much for a "new system" ' .......... $5000 is more like it for a decent body plus 2 or 3 lenses. More seriously - $500 will get you a damn good 'bridge / superzoom' camera - the question here is "what are you using / upgrading from?"

It is all very well to say above that "you have been using a point and shoot camera for quite sometime now" - but what exactly?? - what is its specs and capabilities? - what sort of lens does it have?

I use and enjoy Panasonic superzoom / bridge cameras and with my many years of skills, I can run rings around many other camera club people with upmarket dSLRs. It is not equipment that determines image success - it is your personal skills and visual perception

Also if $500 is your budget then I very seriously suggest you look into the Panasonic FZ-300 as it is a very special and capable camera that has much to offer ALL users

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote