Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 13, 2002, 1:55 AM   #1

Default 450 $ to spend on digital

I have 450 to spend on digital which would give me descent close-ups. Mostly will take pictures of my aquarium so macro would be nice. Was looking into new Olymp 720 but after reading some of your responses I am not sure now.

Thanks for help.

Jay
Dr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:41 AM   #2

any ideas ?
Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:39 PM   #3

Is that your entire budget or just for the camera? When I got my first digicam I spent almost half again as much on bigger memory cards, card reader, NiMH batteries and charger. Your budget amount is not too far off from what I spent on my Canon A10 actually. I'm still extremely happy with it so I'd suggest the successor A40 model. You'll be able to get nice 8x10 prints and have a lot of flexibility. There was a known focus issue at a particular focal length but Canon has issued a firmware update that fixes it IIRC.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:20 AM   #4

thanks for reply.

I will probably purchase another memory card later. So there is 450 strictly for camera.

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:51 AM   #5

How about going for a reconditioned Olympus E-100RS,
retailing for about $499.00 at Olympus Reconditioned Store.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...asp?sku=225240

It is termed as one of the best affordable digital camera in the reviews all over the internet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:16 AM   #6

Default If you're in the US

I had a friend do this at Target: he liked my Minolta S404: 4MP, 4x zoom, nice little camera- $500. Sign up for a Target credit card when you walk in the front doors and get a coupon for 10% off your first purchase-- any $500 cam turns into a $450 camera- they carry Olympus cameras too. I love the 404- at $450 it's a steal. Of course with a 4Mp camera - you're going to need a bigger CF card right off the bat... and you've got to buy NIMH rechargables and charger right away too- the bats and charger will put you back at $500. Like I said the sell a couple of nice Olys too.

[Edited on 8-9-2002 by whittonj]
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:32 AM   #7
NHL

... and I second whittonj, just because it's wise to pick any camera with the CF format and the cheap NiMh rechargeble over anything else... Not that there's already plenty of features to pick from

You'll understand it more once you've owned the camera, and you'll also be ready for the next camera trade up... It'll use the same CF flash and most likely the same batteries as well...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:51 AM   #8

My cousin chose a Sony DSC 70 or 75. She chose it specifically for it's macro mode. I can't give any opinion and she still uses film for her 'real' picture taking (no flames please, her phrase not mine), so her needs may be different than yours, but she makes her living as photographer. She chose this one after taking the same shots with many different cameras in the shop she buys from. As I remeber I think it's in the price range. She's had it a while I think so may be cheaper now. I don't know much about Sony's and hope the model # is right. AR
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:52 AM   #9

You may find that your best deal is a used coolpix. These are very good cameras and fit the CF/NiMH paradigm perfectly as long as yu buy a 990 and not a 995.

I recentlky sold mine, with a WA lens, a 32mb card, and a card reader for $475. I think you can match this on eBay.

When making yor pruchase be sure to consider the minimum needed accessories ... a real card (32mb is not adequate) .. today I would recommend a 256 @ about $100, a card reader @ about $25, a NiMH charger and at least two sets of batteries (3 is better) @ about $50, and some sort of carrying case @ about $25. total: $200!

Again eBay may help since often, as in my case, you will foind someone selling a package.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 11:54 AM   #10

BTW, there are reasobale ways to safeguard yourself on eBay. Use a vendor with a good trackrecord and pay by PayPal ... while PP will not admit it, if you are defrauded the credit card company will repay you and force eBay to pay them ( unpleasnat but I did this!).
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote