Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 1, 2003, 7:33 PM   #1

Default First Digi camera ! Canon a70 x p8 ! and other questions

Hello yall ,
Sorry for my first post on the forum be so lame.
I am to get my first digital camera.
I am gonna be using to taking family/friends picture , vacations (outside) and what else comes to my twisted mind =]

I really like sony , always loved their products.
I own an elph lt260 aps camera , like it too.

So , for the money I want to spend on my digital camera , is 300-400 us dolars.

So , reading some reviews i narrowed down to

Sony P8
- Nice metal body
- Good movie quality

Canon A70
- feels like gonna feet better in my hands
- same features of the sony + manual white control - nive movie

I am probably missing some features here , but that was what come to my mind.

I like the rechargable battery in the p8 , so i dont need to buy battery , with the a7 i will need to use standard batteries or buy rechagable one , that dont last as much as sony's one.

About the flash media.

p8 have the ability to use the sony new pro that seems to be faster.
A70 use the CF media.

Which one is best ?
I did some research on prices and the CF is way cheaper then sony
about 200 for sony 512mb
and from 99-130 to 512 CF

I saw there was a lot of diferent brands , and Writing/reading speed for CF , which one is the best ?

I think that is it.
Sorry for the long post.
If someone could help me choose my camera i would appreciate to hear your opinion about those cameras or other camera that would feet in my budget.

thanks for all
tcmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:09 PM   #2

Default tcmjr re camera choices

Do yourself a really big favor and go directly to Steve's reviews. If you go all the way down to the bottom of these pages, you will see a logo which links you to http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html or just click on the active link right in this message.

I have two digital cameras, one is a Sony and the other a FujiPix. Quite honestly, I would pick the Canon A70 over the P8 even though I have had good luck with all of my Sony products. The Canon has, among other things, better features that are lacking on the P8 and more importantly, is far more substantially built, far less chance of damage should you drop it, these things do happen.

Later on, you may wish to experiment with add on lenses, here again, the Canon is built with that in mind, the P8 is a pain in the neck in that regard.

You don't need the Pro memory stick, just isn't all that important for the outrageously high price. Nor do you need to start with 512 size cards, believe me. Stick to the lower priced 64 and 128's.

When you narrow this down, let us hear from you but do your homework.......go to the real expert who is Steve.
pjallittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:00 PM   #3

Yeah , I think I'm going with the A70
Cheaper than the p8 , flash memory cheaper.
and the same quality.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmjr
Yeah , I think I'm going with the A70
Cheaper than the p8 , flash memory cheaper.
and the same quality.

Check out http://www.digitalliquidators.com/results.asp

They have the camera you want for $295. Take a look at the Olympus C740 also, lots of great features. You can find it on the same site but read Steve's review first http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c740uz.html

If I were buying today, I'd consider the C740 as it has all the same features plus a 10X zoom. Only a few bucks more.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:37 PM   #5

Hye , thanks for the fast reply !
And what about CF cards ?
I found that there are lots of diferent ones , with diferents speeds.
which should be a enough speed and good brand to buy ?

btw , I live in Brazil . It is almost impossible to find those cameras/flash memory with an afordable price. My cousin that live in the U.S is bringin me one. So i have till next week to make my decision.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmjr
Hye , thanks for the fast reply !
And what about CF cards ?
I found that there are lots of diferent ones , with diferents speeds.
which should be a enough speed and good brand to buy ?

btw , I live in Brazil . It is almost impossible to find those cameras/flash memory with an afordable price. My cousin that live in the U.S is bringin me one. So i have till next week to make my decision.

Send me some guarana and I will personally deliver!

Seriously, don't spend a lot of money on the cards, they are really all pretty good and it is easy to get over your head on this subject.

Depending on what degree of quality you want, get at least 64MB cards, get a couple for now, and have your brother check in with www.digitalliquidators.com

He can get everything you need there and their shipping costs are very reasonable. Plus, they have a toll free number and he can talk to someone there if he needs to get more information. You should visit the site first, look over all the options.

We spent a month in Brazil.....great country, miss the food.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:52 PM   #7

Great to know you liked my Country.
Lol.
I would gladly send you some guarana.
Would you want the natural one you mix with water or the soda one ?
=] Lol

"get at least 64MB cards, get a couple for now"
Is it better to get 2 64mb or 1 128 ?

Is it recommended to take pictures with the highest resolution ?
I probably will not be making prints of them , just storing in my computer , cds ...

I am probably buying at newegg.com cuz I bought all my computer there when I was at US.
And my cousin probably ordering some stuff from there too.

Btw , where in Brazil did you visite ?
All those places in you link was places you visited ? You sure travel a lot.

[]`s
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:13 PM   #8

[quote="tcmjr"]Great to know you liked my Country.
Lol.
I would gladly send you some guarana.
Would you want the natural one you mix with water or the soda one ?
=] Lol

Soda, of course.......everyday we were there I had at least one, sometimes two. As you know there are different brands.

"get at least 64MB cards, get a couple for now"
Is it better to get 2 64mb or 1 128 ?

It costs less to get one 128 but I like to use one 64, let's say in Rio and another in Sao Paulo. It just helps me to keep better track of things.

Actually, when you travel, you can download to a laptop, maybe even in an internet cafe and clean your card off each time. Play around with it for a while before you get too serious about the size of the card. But for sure, get at least two 64's or one 128, the camera will have one smaller card.

Is it recommended to take pictures with the highest resolution ?
I probably will not be making prints of them , just storing in my computer , cds ...

Definitely NO, use lower megapixel size because the highest size will eat your card up in a hurry. You can study the charts and see what a tremendous difference there is in the number of pictures which you can store, depending on Standard/Fine selection and going from 680 to higher sizes. I like to go one size higher at Fine.

I am probably buying at newegg.com cuz I bought all my computer there when I was at US.
And my cousin probably ordering some stuff from there too.

Be sure and compare prices, the one I gave you is good and has reasonable shipping costs.

Btw , where in Brazil did you visite ?
All those places in you link was places you visited ? You sure travel a lot.

Manaus, Salvador Bahia, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Iguacu Falls, a few other places. But I did not have a digital camera when there and am too lazy to scan the Brasil pics one by one.

Yes, we do travel a lot, we have been very lucky.