Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

I was asked by my son's coach to possibly take the team photos this year as well as single player photos. to b eused in those cardboard sports photo holders. Said he has a room at the gym with backdrops. Problem is I've never taken portraits. Anyone have any guidelines regarding camera settings? I've got two lenses. A Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the Canon 85mm f/1.8. Is one of these lenses better than the other for portraits? I've heard people use the 85mm for portrait work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Especially camera settings as I'd hate to go in clueless. thanks.
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:13 PM   #2

If you're using backdrops, it's not so important since you stop the lens down anyway. What you would really want are strobes (with softbox or umbrellas). In lieu of strobes you'll want a good external flash with difuser. And, of course, a tripod.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:13 PM   #3

you may need a gym to get the whole team framed with the lenses you have. But John suggestion for the strobes is right on. You may check around to see if you can rent them, so camera stores do. Short of that as John says an external flash will do, two of those would even be better, especially for the team pictures. While you are checking on rentalequipment you mayalso look for a wider lens for the team pictures too, somewhere in the 24mmto50mm range should help.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:59 PM   #4

Thanks guys. i wasn't sure on the lens range and lighting. But as always thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll check on the equipment. Another excuse to buy more glass :G
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote