Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:41 PM   #1

Default Help! A70 or Ixus 400

Hiya there,

All help is greatly appreciated.

Am looking to buy my first digital camera and am stuck between the A70 and the Ixus 400. I know that these are totally different styles of cameras but dont mind paying extra if it is worth it.

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

Is there a big difference between the quality of the A70 compared to thge Ixus 400 with there being a megapixel difference.

Is the fact that the ixus 400 having lithium battery better than the 4 AA batteries that the A70 takes.

Do you really notice the difference in size?

All help is vbery much appreciated,

Many thanks

:?
Satyen Gohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Is the fact that the ixus 400 having lithium battery better than the 4 AA batteries that the A70 takes.
It depends on what you mean by "better". The lithium battery is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around than AA batteries. BUT you can buy AA batteries anywhere. The convenience of being able to buy AA batteries as you need it (long vacation and you didn't pack a charger) makes the AA battery choice a good one.

As far as picture quality goes, you may want to try both cameras at a store to see for yourself. I recently played around with my mom's S200 and almost all of the pictures I took turned out blurry because the camera body is so light and small that pressing the shutter button caused the whole thing to shake.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:04 PM   #3

I have only had my canon a70 for 5 days, but I love it.There is still things I haven't tried out though.It is pretty easy to use, but the manual is so thick it will scare you to death at first.I can't comment on the other camera you mentioned. I plan on trying the movie mode this weekend. One thing ,it loves the batteries.I am going to get rechargables.I bought my canon online and had it in 3 days.$279, no shipping charge at buydig.com.My order was perfect
Tweety14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:01 AM   #4

Believe me when i say u definitely notice the diff in size, the ixus is tiny. The only difference in photo quality is the amount you can crop and the max printout size before the image quality is degraded. I personally would go with the a70 due to add-on lenses, aa's (nimh are cheaper and better than li-ion) and its good size (not too small and not too big). Either camera you choose, however, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 2:31 PM   #5

Default battery

I know little about cameras, but lots about batteries.

Li-ion are FAR superior to NIMH, hence the vast difference in price.

I personally would not buy a camera WITHOUT a li-ion battery!

Mike
mmppines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 2:56 PM   #6

For the cost of one li-ion you can get several sets of nimh, therefore if something happens to your battery, with li-ion you're out about 50-60 and cant use the camera until you replace the batterie whereas with nimh, you're only out about 10 and can pop in some alkalines until you get more batteries. Also, as for li-ion being "superior," that is debatable. Some camera manufacturers use anemic battery packs that will die after 100 shots. Plus, with nimh, you can always use the highest capacity available and pop 'em into anything else that uses aa's, whereas with li-ion, you're stuck with what the camera company makes for your camera and with few exceptions, your li-ion battery will only work in one or 2 cameras.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote