Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1

I am just starting my photography side buisness and I have a blogspot but am ready for a more in depth site. Does anyone have any suggestions on with web hosts are the best, and which are no good. I have been told by a friend that "HOSTLANE" is okay. Do any of you reccommend any sites for that. Maybe some you have had luck with.

thanks

Todd
kwkshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:42 AM   #2

Todd, it depends on what you are looking for. You said it's a side business. Do you want to do sales through the website? If so, do you want the order processing/printing/shipping controlled by third party or JUST the cash register and then you fulfill the order yourself.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3

Todd,

There are a lot of good hosts and as JohnG said, it will depend on what your needs are.

For example, I signed up for ********* a little over a year ago mainly to practice my designing and to use it with my web development classes. My wife and I ended up turning our passion into a business and we've since turned our website into our business. I manage it all myself and we use a Flash based template for online ordering. Once it was all setup, it's fairly easy to manage aside from the occasional hickup.

Do you have any experience in HTML, Javascript, FLash, etc? What you go with will also dependa lot on what you want to do.

As for price, I pay 9.99 a month for my web server and it's a shared hosting plan with 5GB of space and 75GB of bandwidth and a lot of other extras.

Let us know what you are looking for and we should be able to help.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

Well I do not have much knowledge with HTML... I know I said side business but I am not there yet.lol.... I have only been into photography now about 1 year... got a dslr and took classes and just fell in love with it. Recently my neighbor came to me and said "hey my sis would like you to shoot her baby shower". I would love to be able in the future to say "sure" and here is my website to look and some of my work. As far as prices and sales???? I am not ready for that yet. I would just like to put together a nice website. I know "nice" is relative... here is an example.. A freind of mine has this site... www.jeffnewsom.com I love how the pics contnue to rotate and what not. Then he also has a page for prices. I know for sure I eventually will want that. I hope that helps. As far as the graphic design.. I am a newb. I just need a place to start.

1.post pictures

2.email contact

3.possibility to for sales in the future..

thanks ....Todd
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5

The site you posted is a Flash site which has a bit of a steep learning curve. However, you can have a simple site that will allow you to post some pics and some contact info without a lot of bells and whistles and then you can grow into it as needed.

I guess a question that I should ahve asked is are you looking to have your own paid for webserver or are you looking for something free? Also, if you are going to have your own, what kind of budget do you have? I guess another bigquestion would be if you are going to build your own, do you have any web design software?

We started with a simple HTML site using only basic Microsoft Frontpage and then I created a little more in depth website later on with some Javascript mixed in. I then ended up creating a flash site (see http://porterphotography.netfor both sites). I enjoy having my own server because I use some of it for business on one domain name and another for family.

If you are just looking for something free, you could try a photoblog. My wife has zero HTML knowledge and she manages her own blog. You can post pictures and comments and things, which may fit your current needs. He blog link is on the Flash based website or you can look here, http://porterphotography.blogspot.com.

You have a lot of options, so it is really up to you how you want to start. I could give you a few pointers if you need help, I just started this about a year ago but web design and photography seem to be a good mesh for us.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

Dave
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:45 AM   #6

I ment to say thank you for such an indepth reply last time..soo... thanks..lol I love your site. Very nice pics, you and your wife are very talented. Not to mention she spoke very highly of you on your blogspot.=) As far as my original question... Something like what you have is great for what I want right now. When you said "the other site is more advanced" what do you mean by that.. To answer your other question I had planned on paying for a site. 20...30 a month is fine. I guess now it just comes down to setting up the site. I am very computer litterate but have little experinece with java and html, and those kind of things. This is more complicated than I thought. Being that I work night usually, I have lots of time during the day to mess with computer stuff so I am willing to learn. DO you suggest taking a class or just trial and error. Am I getting myself into a mess?? Should I pay someone to set the site up for me then manage it myself?? I would much rather learn to do it my self. I figured out my blogspot on my own. I know that isin't much to boast about but it felt good to figure it out myself. My quality of picture taking isin't close to what you and your wife produce but I would still like to have a site to put my pics and showcase myself for the future. Something more indepth than my blogspot. Anyway enought rambling.. thank youfor al your help thus far. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Todd

ps. www.toddrichertphotography.blogspot.com that is my blog if ya wanna check it out. Newbie photo's but we all got to start somewhere....

Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:16 AM   #7

Todd,

I sent you a private message since most of this thread seems aimed at a small percentage of the crowd.

Dave